Author Topic: Primer Choice in Star Progressive  (Read 2698 times)

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Primer Choice in Star Progressive
« on: May 01, 2024, 05:07:16 pm »
A dear friend of mine had extensive experience with a very early Star Progressive, loading wadcutter for PPC.  He insisted that it would only work well with a particular kind of primers.
My Progressive dates from the early ‘60s, having been reviewed in the first edition of Handloaders Digest and acquired from John Amber’s estate.  I’m wondering which if any brands of primers I should avoid or particularly seek out so it will “run its smoothest”.
Regards & thanks,
Froggie

jcullen

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Primer Choice in Star Progressive
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 06:08:09 pm »
I use Federal  SPP never had a problem in any machine, good ignition with modified  S&W revolvers

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 08:35:04 pm »
Greetings,

On rare occasion, a lot of primers will be slightly larger in diameter and not flow through the feed tube without sticking.

I have had this happen with all the major brands.

Might soak a Q-Tip in 99% Isopropyl alcohol and push it through the feed tube to clean up any possible dirt/fouling.

You can use the Primer Follower Rod to push the Q-Tip through.

Be sure to send a dry Q-Tip through at the end of the cleaning.

Cheers,

Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 12:39:56 am »
I have run into odd lots of primers where the anvil is sitting high in the primer cup and will catch on the underside of the primer socket.   It has only happened to me on one occasion with one lot of Winchester primers......and I have used a lot of Winchester primers.  I have heard from a couple of customers who have had a similar problem, but don't know which brand primers they were using.   I think the problem is quite rare but can be very frustrating.

Star did make a Primer Sockets for rifle machines which has an undercut on the bottom of the primer socket which allows additional clearance.  I have them in stock.

You must keep the primer magazine clean.   It will build up some green crud over time which can impede the flow of primers.   I use a 17 caliber cleaning rod with a 17 caliber patch for small primer magazines and a 17 Caliber rod with a 22 caliber patch for large primer magazines.  You can also use a 17 Caliber or 22 Caliber bore snake.

Don't add weights to the end of the follower rod to push primers through.   It's a follower rod, not a push rod.

Bruce Williams
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 12:49:36 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 09:25:51 am »
Have used Remington, Federal, CCI, and Winchester. Thousands of each. Both older and newer boxed versions, all without recurring problems or issues.
As Bruce, notes, always an occasional blip.
I have not needed to use any Wolff primers. 
I have though been using the plastic see through tubes more than the brass. What Dave suggests is also a good idea and I do this on occasion, as well as some other preventative maintenance.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

WWW.TheFiringLineNY.com