Author Topic: Glass powder measure  (Read 5486 times)

jcullen

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Glass powder measure
« on: November 23, 2023, 05:54:24 pm »
Anyone try one of the glass powder measures with the powder shut off advertised on  E-bay for $50 ?

brian_a_mcmillen

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Glass powder measure
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2023, 04:45:31 pm »
I bought one but haven't put any powder in it yet.  The glass really isn't fastened to the aluminum base very well though.  It is basically a pressure fit on cork so it seems like it could slip off pretty easily.  I am thinking that I will glue the glass to the aluminum base which should fix it.  The shutoff seems to be decent although you will still need to catch whatever powder is still in the powder slide and just below the valve so probably 2 charges or more will still drop after you close the valve.  Anyway, for the price, I don't think it's too terrible.

My 2 cents....

Brian
BMcMillen

jcullen

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 07:20:39 am »
Thanks

starfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2024, 07:07:37 pm »
I recently acquired a star press with a glass powder cylinder... everything arrived safe and sound... EXCEPT the glass... luckily the seller packaged it up separate.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2024, 08:03:06 pm »
Greetings,

I bought one of the eBay specials.

Very nice machining.

However, when you close the slide to stop the powder and then unscrew the hopper the slide bumps against the tool head and opens. Thus, dumping powder all over.

Now my glass hopper sits on the bench until I get bored enough to machine a fix for it.

Also, the threads were incorrect. The Star hopper is a 9/16-27 TAPERED thread. The eBay vendor chose to use a 9/16-27 STRAIGHT thread.

Yes, it sort of screws on; but, over time it will damage the thread on the powder housing cover.

Cheers,

Dave