Author Topic: Star progressive conversion  (Read 2866 times)

Cousin Daniel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star progressive conversion
« on: October 14, 2021, 10:28:56 am »
I am in the middle of modififying a star progressive to have separate bullet seating and bullet crimping capabilities.

I made a plug from aluminum for the hole in the base I created,  I am curious if this choice of material will last and provide uniform results as the rounds are crimped and downward force applied?

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star progressive conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 12:06:03 pm »
Greetings,

Aluminum will work for a temporary setting.

I use a piece of 0.750" tool steel and machine it to length. No need to harden it.

Cheers,

Dave

Cousin Daniel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 03:45:30 pm »
That was my thoughts the more I stared at the plug, I always maintain a healthy supply of 0-1 and w-1 tool steel so I will make a replacement when I get time.

Dan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 06:42:50 pm »
4140 prehard would probably work.

Cousin Daniel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 06:57:59 pm »
To be honest any material would work for the moment and most likely 100,000 rounds, I just want this fixed right for who ever gets it after I am done using it and I have walked into heaven's gates.

I have a 7 dillon rl1000 presses and rarely use my 2 two star progressives or universal, however I like knowing they are in tip top shape and are fully utilized. I gave thought to preserving them in cosmoline type preserver and setting them in a stash similar to the story sun down at coffin rock.

Dan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 09:36:43 pm »
Man I thought I was doing well with four Stars and a Camdex.

The makers of Kroil make a phenomenal preservative that sprays on. Drys almost like plastic dip but can be removed with a degreaser.