Author Topic: Does Super Star 223 Conversion Kit fit both Progressive and Universal Reloaders  (Read 10174 times)

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Was the Super Star 223 Conversion kit designed for the Progressive model reloader or the Universal reloader or does it fit both?

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
I would imagine it was for the Univ. machine as the shell plate would not permit the loaded round to drop out the bottom like a .38 special. I think it would need to leave the plate through the window the progressive doesn't have. I have no intimate knowledge of the SS conversion, this is a WAG.

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
The progressive would not have the adj straps on the base.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
The Super Star kit includes two special shell locator straps, so yes, it was designed for a Universal.   And as Rolling Stone points out, since .223 is a rimless case there is no way to remove it without modification of the Progressive at the last station.

The shell locator straps are special because the tab rests directly on the steel base so it contacts the rim rather than the side of the case and stabilizes the tall cases.   One of the two special straps has an extension that fills the gap between the powder station and the bullet seating station.   Without this, the .223 cases have a tendency to rock and fall out of the reloader.

Star Rifle machines also use shorter shell locator straps with the tabs that rest on the steel base.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Does anyone have pictures of the two shell straps that can be posted that will show the differences?
Does anyone make replacement 223 shell strap assemblies?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
I have made up a few sets and have them available.   I also made up some of the special case feeder pistons which are copies of the one offered in the Dillon Super Star kit.    I still have not made the .223/30 Carbine case feeder top plate that was included in the kit.   I'm hoping to get to it this winter.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Do you happen to have a picture of them in place and supporting the 223 case.  Or if not, which goes in which station?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
The one on the left is for the sizing station, the one on the right is for the powder fill station.  The extension fills in the open space where you would normally be able to insert or remove a shell.   The long screw with the spring allows you to pull the strap back so you can still insert or remove a shell.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Good explanation. The case "wobble" sure slows down the process since now I just pause a second or so for the relatively tall (and unstable) cases to stop moving before I throw the handle. Glad to learn that there is a solution and that parts are available. Now that you have posted a picture I realize that I had the parts for a dissasembled shell locator strap that were in a box of Star spare parts and I had no idea what it was. There was only the one strap assembly. I'll look at your two location assembly (I just ordered) and post a note after I try both on my press.