Author Topic: Loading .380 with 9mm dies?  (Read 25068 times)

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Loading .380 with 9mm dies?
« on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:03 pm »
Has anyone had good results using 9mm dies for reloading .380 ACP?  I plan on using my .223 shell plate and adjusting the 9mm expander and seating die.
Tom
Tom Butler

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Loading .380 with 9mm dies?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 03:18:59 pm »
When I acquired my 9mm die set, I was offered one additional seating die to load a specific .380 bullet. I declined it, as I had loaded so few .380, and shoot so few .380 I was not  interested. I understood that the 9mm sizing die and seating die were also used for .380.
Noting the similarities in internal dimensions, I would think this could be accomplished.

Some others, maybe RBWillNJ will have some more insight.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 04:35:17 pm »
I took a look at my .380 and 9mm die sets comparred to one another and here is my opinion.  (Just an opinion, since I have not tried to load .380 with a 9mm die set.

I think that there would be no problem using a 9mm seating die and 9mm taper crimp die to load .380 unless you just can't adjust the die down far enough to do its intended job.

I think you may have a problem with the expander.  The working part of the 9mm expander is much longer than  the working part of a .380 expander.   I think you might end up expanding the full length of the .380 case before you could get a flare.   You might even bottom out the expander in the .380 case.

Although I haven't tried it, I don't think a 9mm sizing die will work for .380.   9mm is a tapered case, and although the dimensions of the bullet are the same, the dimensions of the case, (just above the rim ) are very different (.391 Vs .374).  The 9mm sizing die has a long tapered carbide sizing ring, the .380 sizer die does not.

tabranch    I'd still like to see those pictures of the Super Star parts.   You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.   I'm having a hard time visualising it from your description.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 10:57:14 am »
I tried the 9mm dies for the .380.  If the brass were to be fired in the same gun, the sizer will work.  If I want a "to spec" cartridge I will need a .380 sizer.  I will attempt to turn down my Lee carbide sizer and thread it for the 11/16x24 holes in the head.  The 9mm expander seems ok, not too long.  I plan to use a Lee carbide taper crimp die which also must be turn down and rethreaded.  I believe the seater will work, but need to actually try it.  Tom  (ps wish me luck with my rethreading!) No need to modify the die as Lee had a .380 ACP 11/16x24 die that works perfectly! So to summarize, I reload .380ACP with a .380ACP carbide sizer, a 9mm expander and bullet seater with a .223 shell plate.  I have made a top plate for the Hulme 9mm shell feeder to .380ACP using suggestions from the forum.  I rethreaded a Lee carbide crimper/sizer die and am about to try it out.  Tom
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 03:31:37 pm by tabranch »
Tom Butler

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 02:42:15 pm »
Yesterday while boxing 9's I just loaded I found a .380 which went thru and came out lookin OK!

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 08:50:02 am »
Please destroy that .380 round before it gets accidentally fired in a .380 pistol!  Tom
Tom Butler

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 04:06:19 pm »
TA,
Thanks...I  didn't note that I pulled the round apart after finding it when sorting/boxing. Today I was at the range today when a shooter came in w/ a pristine Browning 1910. I was an observer while it was attempted to ascertain caliber. I didn't see it up close but understand it was marked PK & 9mm. Nothing to indicate short or Kurz but all seemed inclined towards .380.

The gun was found by the owner's brother after an accidental death and was a surprise to all involved. All agreed there was considerable value attached but the owner is determined to shoot it once cal is determined. I suppose this is typical of incidents involving old guns. It was comforting to see our range officers were very cautious in advice & handling. The lack of caliber in detail in the paper work ot=r stamped on the gun was a surprise to me.

I recently purchased a Giles 38 special conversion w/o any changes in the original Colt 38 Super marking. The gun store aquired the gun sans clip so put a new 38 Super Colt in it. I recognized it from the Giles sights, bought it, ground the mag to accept & feed 38 specials as Giles did and it is indeed a "super" gun! Not being identified was to my advantage in this instance!

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 07:21:30 pm »

www.makarov.com/makfaq.htlm

The above site has some interesting info on reloading the various 9mm rounds including the .380.
in particular I would take a look at the "Case dimensions of various 9mm cartridges" as there are
at least six , some straight wall, some tapered and none of them are the same dimensions.

be carefull

lindy

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 07:35:27 pm »
Wrong link ,, try this one

www.makarov.com/graphics/9mmcases.jpg