Author Topic: Conversion of my Star Progressive to 9mm  (Read 12960 times)

billrok

• View Profile
Conversion of my Star Progressive to 9mm
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:15 pm »
Hello all.  Been reading all the posts in an effort to learn about my new Star machines.  I have a Progressive set up for .38 and a Universal set up for .45 but have never loaded anything yet.  I'd like your suggestions on setting up the Progressive to full time 9mm and then have the Universal for everything else.  I sure appreciate your suggestions.  Thanks, billrok  Orland Park, IL 

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Conversion of my Star Progressive to 9mm
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 10:43:26 am »
There are two main differences between the Progressive and Universal that I am aware of.
The progressive does not have the shell plate locating straps for adjustment.
It has the "O" size (smaller) powder measure.
I do not think the lack of straps will impact with 9mm, as much as other calibers, and the "O" bar should be able to be enlarged to drop what you need to load, or you can get an adjustable one.
Unless another member knows otherwise, the other parts should be interchangeable.

Maybe I am missing sonmething in your question, but with the ease  of changing out toolheads, calibers, etc., there is not really a big advantage in what you want to do by changing the caliber of a dedicated machine.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 11:12:20 am »
I changed a progressive to 9mm, i had toturn down the outside dia of the 9mm shellplate several thousands to fit the base, and had to make a plug for the drop threw hole in the base, other than that, the machine worked ok, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 04:57:54 pm »
bilrok,
When I contemplated the same chg as you are a machinist friend experienced with stars advised he has solved this problem by converting the Prg to 45 & used the Un for 38 & 9mm.  Below is his reccomend which I value due to his ability & experience.

"You can machine it out to take the 9mm plate but you need the adj. fingers of the universal to center the case... But what you can do is machine out the progressive to take the 45 plate and use the universal for your 9 & 38s. It is an easy machine to fit the plate and the 45 case is big enough to center itself. It will then be 45 ONLY. "

All that being said 330 OKH has related his experience & I respect his expertise also. He might relate whether you could encounter problems turning the hard shellplate.

Ron

SWANEE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:38:05 pm »
 :) O K, Maybe I have what you need for your change over, a complete (new) steel floor plate with spring loaded locating shell straps, I think any adjustments would be minimal. Send me a P M or give me an e-mail, swansport at mchsi .com. Dave

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:01:25 pm »
Ron, the shellplate is hard, it has to be ground off, which is a Machine shop service, if a person has to hire a machinist to do these things, it can be very expensive, in which case might be better to go with the 45ACP, or some other route, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member