Author Topic: Any forum members near central West Virginia?  (Read 8198 times)

Marty

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Any forum members near central West Virginia?
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:59:16 pm »
I would like to see a working star machine.  I have 2 machines that are in pieces and I would like to put them in operation.  They are bare machines with no bullet or case feeders or progressive accessories. Is it best to leave them with original dies or upgrade to modern dies?  I will be loading pistol only on them. (38...45). Thanks in advance   Marty

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Any forum members near central West Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 09:02:28 pm »
Depending on the type of dies, as long as they are carbide, they should still work fine for you. My dies are oringial 1960s vintage and still perform. If you feel new dies may be a better option try  FC60  on this site. He makes very well made copies as good or better than the originals. You may need to go this route because the thread for the dies is not the common 7/14 found on todays versions.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:04:17 pm »
The email for FC60 is:       fc60net "at" comcast "dot" net
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Marty

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 10:52:54 pm »
I would like to see a working star machine.  I have 2 machines that are in pieces and I would like to put them in operation.  They are bare machines with no bullet or case feeders or progressive accessories. Is it best to leave them with original dies or upgrade to modern dies?  I will be loading pistol only on them. (38...45). Thanks in advance   Marty

Did a bit of research today.......Dies on one press are .30 carbine and the other is .38 spcl. (Perfection die). Pat.No. on machine is 2031850........one press is stamped  44 on parts the other is  27.    Marty

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:17:43 pm »
Greetings Marty,

Sounds like one machine is ready to go in 38 Special.

The other machine with the 30 Carbine dies is most likely a Universal machine. You should be able to trade the 30 Carbine dies and shell plate for a 45 ACP setup with one of the Forum Members.

Actually, I have a 45 ACP set up I might be willing to swap with you.

Better check your spare parts. You will need the large primer punch and bushing and large primer feed tube and pickup tube.

Send me an email if interested.

Cheers,

Dave