Author Topic: Rifle machine, recent find  (Read 24727 times)

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Rifle machine, recent find
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:48:18 pm »
Last week I picked up a Star rifle machine (with serious issues), and have started to clean it up.  I had a few questions if someone on the forum is familiar with this configuration of Star.  My searches on the subject here have only given some sketchy results.  It sounds like these Stars were quite uncommon, does anyone know approximately how many of these were produced, and the rough time frame that they were manufactured in? 

This one is marked R15 next to the patent number on the die head, and currently has .223 dies in the head (RCBS).  The head is tapped for 7/8 x 14 sizer and seater dies and the die head is a thicker casting than the standard pistol universal.  Were these Stars ever produced to use other calibers than .223, or was that the only offering?  This does not appear to be the Dillon refit, all parts look original.  The machine was rusted solid in the base, and nothing would move.  The die head was also frozen on the shaft and the it has taken a few days to get everything to move (lots of penetrating oil).

The powder measure actuator is really different than the conventional setup due to the much larger charges that need to be thrown.  That casting is about 2 inches square and has a replaceable bored out aluminum block (inside the powder slide) that drops the charge.  It looks like it would be straightforward to machine multiple blocks and drill them out for different charges.  The measure cam setup is really unique.  The other major differences that I see are the longer curved link arms in the front, and a longer distance of travel for the die head.  With luck, if Santa is good I will get a digital camera next week and will try to post a couple of photos.   Meanwhile I would appreciate any insight and information from the members here. Thanks.

SWANEE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Rifle machine, recent find
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:24:53 pm »
Well Mr joatman I would say you have found a good one to play with, somewhere in the past I heard there were approx 100 produced, 'by Dillon', the linkage sounds right with the curved ends to the top,that is to give it the extra tool head travel and is the powder housing kind of a black onidised and a little longer at the bottom when you are looking at it. I believe the shaft is the same length as the other stars. Am really interested to see the pics when you get too them. I know I've seen a pic somewhere on another forum, i'll try looking it up, will let you know if I find it. Hey, nice Christmas present huh.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 07:41:14 pm »
Sounds like the real original.
I also would like to see pictures. Please post!.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:01:06 pm »
Not mine, but here are some pictures of some Star Rifle Machines and Tool Heads.   I would have liked to own them, but the owner wanted far too much.

The first picture has two Star Rifle machines among other Stars, and a Phelps.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 10:05:57 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 10:02:58 pm »
More Pictures
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 10:04:09 pm »
More Pictures
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:19:54 pm »
Everyone,  Thanks for the nice pics and the comments, those are certainly examples of the same machine type that I am working on.  The other distinguishing factor that I forgot to mention at first is that long hexagonal brass powder drop tube.  The interesting thing is that the bottom is an inverted cone like a standard RCBS uniflow, but the bottom is spring loaded so the cone contacts the case and rides up and down on top of it to avoid any powder spill.  I guess it answers the question about the different calibers also.  I am seeing several with different sets of dies in those pictures.  I am guessing that these were set up with these die sets by Star, what do you think?  Do you happen to know the period these were manufactured or have any other thoughts about numbers produced?  Sorry for all the questions but this is really interesting to me.  Pretty amazing that somone managed to accumulate all those calibers too...

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 11:26:02 am »
Nice pictures Bruce.
Can certainly see how much beefier the rifle machines were. Also nice to see the subtle differences,(relief cuts) as well as the obvious like the powder system.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 05:34:19 pm »
i've got a question,     looking at the pictures of all the reloading presses,  i noticed some kind of addjusted rod from the back,  looks like its hooked up to the powder measure and base of the reloader,   what is it??????????,  thanks   jerry

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 01:19:58 am »
Jerry, That rod is the operating rod for the cam that drives the powder measure slide.  It is quite different than the conventional star setup.  The cam is a bi-lobed bronze casting that "rolls over" to actuate the powder slide.  The slide and housing are much larger than the unit on the pistol reloaders (as you can see from Bruce's pictures).  The rod you see is threaded and has jam nuts that can be adjusted to modify the cam movement and the travel of the slide.  I hope to take a few pics of the details after Christmas. 

John

John Wayne

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 02:43:20 pm »
Now I know what Star Heaven looks like!

Merry Christmas!

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 02:33:09 pm »
Update, I wanted to post a few pictures of the progress so far but I seem to be having problems posting the images.  Just got a new digital camera and this is all a bit new to me.  For one thing the images are way too large (>2 MB) and I cant seem to move the image into the reply box.  I reduced the image pixel size but still no luck.  Anyone out there that can help out with a few pointers would be appreciated.

John

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 08:43:45 pm »
Jon  use a photobucket acct, can edit size there, save edit , copy IMG code and paste in reply

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:45:18 pm »
Going to try to post a couple of pics, hope this works.  The loader is still rough, but I have everything moving again and have gotten rid of most of the rust.  First is of the partially disassembled powder charge bar/slide.  Note the relative size compared to the standard pistol setup.  The aluminum block insert is just under 1 inch thick/square. 
http://img259.imageshack.us/i/dscn001201.jpg/
As mentioned on a previous post the block with the hole is removeable so that in theory you could replace the block with one dropping a different charge instead of replacing the entire slide bar.
http://img204.imageshack.us/i/dscn001301.jpg/
The last two are just a couple of different angles with the powder charge system re-assembled.  Note the brass hexagon powder drop tube with the spring loaded end that fits over the mouth of the case.  Sorry if these are a bit dark, I am new to using the camera.
http://img40.imageshack.us/i/dscn001401.jpg/
http://img28.imageshack.us/i/dscn001501.jpg/

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 12:31:23 am »
Thanks for sharing!
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com