Author Topic: Meaning of part number on angular lever cam  (Read 4829 times)

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Meaning of part number on angular lever cam
« on: January 16, 2020, 09:53:06 am »
I have a question concerning the meaning of single digit numbers stamped on a Tool Head and the Angular lever cam. I have had Universal machines on which the cam lever could not be correctly adjusted to the position where the lever cleared the brass primer mechanism without putting undue stress on the primer slide as it hit the center post. There must be some significance to the numbers used by Star on both the tool head and the adjacient lever cam. Any Answer?
Thanks,
21-50 standing by//

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Meaning of part number on angular lever cam
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 12:16:52 pm »
The numbers on the Angle Lever Cam and Tool Head, as well as the numbers on the Bronze primer casting and the steel base are assembly numbers.   In both cases, they were parts that were hand fitted, then went on for further processing.  The numbers allowed the parts to be re-matched with their mates during final assembly.  On machines made in the early 30's, the numbers on all four parts matched.   On very early machines, the #45 Primer Punch Rocker Arm was stamped with the same number as the steel base.

In the case of the Angle Lever Cam, after it was fitted to the tool head, it went on to be hardened.   You can use an angle lever cam with a different or No number, but it will likely require some tuning.

The numbers were reused many times.   The highest number I have seen is 115, which probably means there were at least 115 machines in that batch(?).   Star also used letter stamps.

Bruce Williams
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 02:21:31 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 02:41:07 pm »
Greetings,

Were the Angle Cams the same on Progressive and Universal machines?

Cheers,

Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 04:27:21 pm »
No, the Angle Lever Cams for Progressives and Universals are different and not interchangeable, not even with severe bending.  The tool heads are the same except the Angle Lever Cam.

Why are the different?   The steel base of a Universal is about 1/8" larger diameter than the steel base of a Progressive.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:30:19 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 12:52:14 pm »
Greetings,

Good information.

When I buy a 38 Special Tool Head off eBay, it could have been removed from a Progressive or Universal.

Off to check my tool head stash...

Cheers,

Dave

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 05:31:39 pm »
I have a question concerning the meaning of single digit numbers stamped on a Tool Head and the Angular lever cam. I have had Universal machines on which the cam lever could not be correctly adjusted to the position where the lever cleared the brass primer mechanism without putting undue stress on the primer slide as it hit the center post. There must be some significance to the numbers used by Star on both the tool head and the adjacient lever cam. Any Answer?
Thanks,
21-50 standing by//

Thank you for the solid information.

When I was visiting Star back in 1982 Rob Wilkinson showed me the shop and we discussed the proper way to adjust the cam lever for a smooth and stress free operation of the machine. He said that many people used the hole in the handle of a large Cresent wrench to slip over the lever, to about midpoint, and then apply steady effort to bend the lower half Out. To move the lever back towards the center post a dead blow with a lead hammer was the best. Hensley and Gibbs offered an aluminum mold that cast a double ended hammer head around a steel shaft handle. I got one and it works well for that adjustment as well as for its intended purpose of striking spruce plate on molds.

A few years later I bought a couple of Universals from a retired commercial reloading operation. The owner sent many accessories to include a reference to a cam lever adjusting tool given to him by Srar. The tool was missing but he provided a rough drawing that described a slip over sleeve that wound allow for leverage both In and Out --- a refinement of the Cresent wrench hole with much more surface support.

I knew of the machine specific cam lever for a Progressive vs. Universal.

Regards/21-50

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 12:09:12 pm »
Greetings 2150,

Would you kindly scan and post an image of the cam tool?

Cheers,

Dave