Author Topic: Loading the lubrizer  (Read 11874 times)

wag21930

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Loading the lubrizer
« on: July 09, 2005, 09:36:03 pm »
I just decided to cast some 45 ammo after 25 years. When I took my lubrizer out of storage, I pumped the lube that was left in it out.I don't remember how to load the thing. I removed the pressure screw .That is as far as I can go. If I remember correctly, I should be able to remove the pressure spring and lower piston, put in a stick of hollow wax and replace the piston and spring. What could keep the spring from coming out. Feels like its hung up on something. Thanks for any help.  Wag.
wag

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Loading the lubrizer
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:51:05 am »
After you remove the pressure screw, unscrew the small rod (pressure screw handle) that is used to turn the pressure screw, flip the pressure screw over and insert it upsidedown into the lube chamber.  Then thread the top end to the pressure screw onto the pressure spring piston rod, and use the pressure screw nut (the cap) as a handle to pull the pressure spring assembly out of the the lube chamber.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

wag21930

• Active Members
    • View Profile
lubrisizer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 11:35:11 am »
THANKS, Rb.   Everything came apart nicely. Am I correct in thinking that I need to use lube tubes with a hole down the center?
wag

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Loading the lubrizer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 01:58:54 pm »
You do not need lube sticks with holes down the center for Star Lubrisizers.  Unlike the Lyman, RCBS and others, the pressure screw does not go through the lube on the Star.  Put the lube stick in first, then put the pressure spring assembly in over the lube stick, and push it down.

I don't think it will hurt if you use sticks with holes, but I have never tried it.

Remember, if you use one of the newer hard wax lubes, you will need a heated base, and even with the older lubes it helps to heat the base a little to get things moving.  Most of the oldtimers just use a light bulb.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com