Author Topic: Change 38 SPL to 357  (Read 11562 times)

model2965

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Change 38 SPL to 357
« on: March 18, 2007, 12:29:12 pm »
Can anyone give me the step by step change over procedure for my Universal Star from 38 SPL to 357 magnum. I have had the machine set up in 38 special for 20 years and I forgot how to change it over. I keep crushing 357 cases and over belling them. I know it is something very simple that I have forgot.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Re: Change 38 SPL to 357
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 02:56:47 pm »
Hi.... 1.Loosen the locknut on the belling plug. 2.Using a screwdriver back the plug up until it just reaches the 357 case (toolhead must be lowered) 3.Raise head slightly & turn the plug down until it gives a satisfactory bell. (Test by lowereing head on a case)l. 4. Retighten the locknut taking care plug setting doesn't chg. 5. Loosen the seater die locknut and move the die up until the head can be lowerd onto a 357 case w/o excess crimp. 6. Retighten locknut holding die in position by gripping the knurled portion of the die. The previous assumes using the same bullet as used for 38 sp. If not prior to loosening the seater loosen the plug in the seater and back it out enough to allow clearing the new bullet. Then adjust it down until desired seat depth is achieved & lock in plase again taking care not to chg adj when tightening. Pdr chg: Depending on the system in place on your machine it will req a chg unless the same ammo perf as 38 is desired. Orig equip will require a dif "bar" be put in place. You will see 2 screws on the pdr slide cover which can be removed allowing access to the pdr bar.

You may have to clean the seater die. Lube has a tendencey to "stick" everything together. Pass a small wire thru the seater plug's vent hole to clear it.    Ron H

model2965

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 04:55:03 pm »
Thanks
I will give it a try. My concern is the powder spout

model2965

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 11:36:58 pm »
I have made the suggested corrections and am still crushing brass on the powder spout. Any suggestion?

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:08:22 am »
I checked the clearance on my universal, which is set up for .38 Special, with a .357 case on the powder spount station.  I only have about 1/64" of clearance from the top of the case to the "nut" section of the spount that is used to tighten it in place.  Sounds like you may have one that has a wider section for the wrench when it is tightened in place....my only suggestion would be to replace the spout if you can find one that is "thinner"...does that make sense?
Distinguished Pistol Shot

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 08:33:33 am »
I have a number of original Star Powder Spouts.   If interested, send me a Private Message.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com