Author Topic: Maintenance after Loooong Inactive period  (Read 8471 times)

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
Maintenance after Loooong Inactive period
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:23:37 pm »
Getting my 1979 era Star all spiffed-up after a couple of decades on the sideline.  Thinking about removing the detent ball plug and cleaning up that area and parts.  Is this OK to do?  Any trick to it?

If OK to proceed, do I apply any lube before assembly [oil, grease, graphite], or assemble clean & dry?

Thanks,
Warren
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Maintenance after Loooong Inactive period
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 10:43:26 pm »
I would recommend a complete disassembly, cleaning and lubrication.   If you call me, I can walk you through it.  Too much to type up here.

Bruce

Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

FOR_Star

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Maintenance after Loooong Inactive period
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:00:26 pm »
Bruce, thanks so much for the help!!

As part of the clean-up I removed the three #79U Shell Base Locating Straps.  First time I'd ever touched these, so they were set as the machine came to me brand new.  I was surprised at the amount of gunk accumulated behind each.

I don't think I've ever seen any instructions as to how, when, or why you adjust these.  Is there a SOP on how to set these (the little set screw in each that changes how it aligns the case at that station)?  I've loaded .45's and .38's and all went well without changing the original settings.

Is it just a common sense thing, or is there some actual procedure?  Anybody have to readjust theirs when they change calibers?

Curious,
Warren
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Strap Adustment
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 11:59:56 am »
Greetings,

The various caliber shell plates vary in outside diameter. A little math leads one to believe that the OD is tangent to the case OD.

So, rotate the shell plate 1/12 of a turn. The detent ball should be positioned under a case cutout, not the round 3/8" indexing hole.

Insert the strap with the upper set screw backed off so it does not touch.

Next, lightly tighten the Fillister head screw so the strap just touches the rim of the shell plate.

Last, tighten the upper set screw to snug up the strap and leave a wee bit of clearance with the shell plate.

Test the adjustment with an empty case and you should be spot on.

Cheers,

Dave

FOR_Star

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Strap Adustment
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 12:32:36 pm »
Thank you, Dave.  I'm going to print and put this in the "Star Binder".

Greetings,

The various caliber shell plates vary in outside diameter. A little math leads one to believe that the OD is tangent to the case OD.

So, rotate the shell plate 1/12 of a turn. The detent ball should be positioned under a case cutout, not the round 3/8" indexing hole.

Insert the strap with the upper set screw backed off so it does not touch.

Next, lightly tighten the Fillister head screw so the strap just touches the rim of the shell plate.

Last, tighten the upper set screw to snug up the strap and leave a wee bit of clearance with the shell plate.

Test the adjustment with an empty case and you should be spot on.

Cheers,

Dave
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979