Author Topic: Using commercial machine shop to make a part for Star reloader  (Read 9893 times)

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Using commercial machine shop to make a part for Star reloader
« on: September 25, 2009, 12:37:34 pm »
Perhaps some others using this website can detail their experience using a commercial machine shop to make a part for their Star reloader.  I started this when I couldn't find a expander mandrel or powder measure spout for 223 Rem that was cut for the Star reloader.  Since I had a tool head factory cut for 7/8-14 dies, I would also need dies cut for Star clearances.  (I had no trouble finding shellplates for 223 and finding a 1/2 inch adjustable powder slide which would throw sufficient powder.)

I went to the largest machine shop in my area (one actually capable of large production work and considered "full service").  My reasoning was that they had a better chance of having the necessary mills and metals, etc. already in stock and and would have more flexibility in having machines free for the work.

I spoke initially with the owner and a project manager was assigned.  Most of my contact thereafter was with the project manager.  He made the computerized drawings, ran the prototypes, made suggestions and supervised the final batches for the items for which more than one was make.   

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Using commercial machine shop to make a part for Star reloader
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 12:52:24 pm »
It would have been easy if I could have taken in a part to copy or handed him a diagram with all specifications stated, including what metal and what finish.  The cost would be that of a single item, i.e. the same as the cost of a single prototype.  However I wasn't sure of anything since I wasn't copying a part already in use and for most items, the first part machined had to be treated like a protype, then tested in the Star and then modified as necessary. 

The machine shop made estimates based on projected machine time.  This was at $200 a hour with a 1/2 hour minimum for any given setup. Thus each time a prototype was made or modified, the cost was $150 to $175.  Once a prototype was acceptable, it was easy for the shop to estimate the cost per item of a small batch (small is 10 or so items).  I was told that the next price break started with a batch of approximately 50 and the price would drop until a run of 100 items was reached.  Thereafter, there would be no further significant price breaks

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 01:12:34 pm »
After the first small batch is run, additional small batches should have the same cost.  There are no additional prototype costs for additional  batches.  Clearly a item that necessitates three protypes prior to a small batch run is more expensive than a item than can be run (batch) after the first protoype.  The least expensive way to make a item is to ask for a run of 10 units without any prototype.

I decided that in addition to the single mandrel and spout I wanted for my own use, I would have a small batch of 10 run.

Now is there a market?  I estimated the total market for the expander and powder measure spout to be 20 (12 in the first year, 8 in the second year).  If someone significantly improves on the design, there is no more market.  If the items are copied, production cost for the copy will be lower because there are no "research and design, i.e. prototype" costs. 

The cost recoup number is 20 (75% with 10 units, 100% with 20 units).   

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:22:55 pm »
Richard Daniels makes the 223 shellplates and the 1/2 inch adjustable powder bars and powder bases.  CH Tool and Die has said they plan to make a run of 223 Rem dies cut for Star.  The Star tool head can be cut for standard dies and the standard dies  cut for fit. There is no single source for all parts necessary to modify the Star for 223 but now the individual parts are or soon will be available or can be machined locally (a reference to the toolhead and standard dies). 

I hope others that have had parts for the Star machined, either for personal use only or a few extras to sell can post their experience.  I hope this has been of interest.

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 06:55:47 pm »
I enjoyed your postings. I believe that many Star users have pursued a similar course throughout the years. I had a machinist friend who is also a long range rifle shooter produce about forty-five Large and Small Primer Slides. We used several new/original Slides for a pattern and also asked for input from this Forum. We made a few prototypes and tried them in various Universal loaders. It was a valuable insight into the dimensions and function of the Primer Slides. It appeared to us that the Slides varied over time, but that all originals worked OK. Some had a slightly better surface finish and some had a variation in the hole diameter for the Large and Small primer. We struck a compromise on the important diameter issue, wanting none too small or too sloppy for use with good quality primers (Olin & later Remington offerings). I hope that others respond to your postings.

"21-50", standing by//
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:13:02 pm by 2150 »