Author Topic: Star reloader question  (Read 11082 times)

madison68

• View Profile
Star reloader question
« on: November 15, 2007, 06:41:14 pm »
Hello, I'm new to this site and and have been collecting star reloaders and accessories for many years. I was recently at a gun show and purchased what I believe to be is an old reloader. It is unique from my other stars because it has a brass plate riveted to the shell plate. Has anyone seen or know anything about this particular reloader? BTW this site is really nice. Thanks Madison....

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Star reloader question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 11:06:09 pm »
Haven't seen one like that, can you post a picture?
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 12:11:21 pm »
Actually, there is one on ebay just like it now.   http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-1931-STAR-PROGRESSIVE-RELOADER-RELOADING-PRESS_W0QQitemZ270189084988QQihZ017QQcategoryZ71120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is that yours??   

I have a May 1934 American Rifleman that reviews the Star Progressive Reloading Machine.  The loader pictured in the story looks very much like yours with the lettering cast into the base.   It does not appear to have the brass plate.  Also, the powder slide cam is different.  Yours is obviously a very early model, but I think it is a later version than the one pictured in the 1934 article.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

madison68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 08:25:30 pm »
Thanks for the info . It isn't mine. I've never sold one. It does appear to be the same as mine. I recently aquired it at a gun show in PA. I paid a guy $450 which is the cheapest I've paid for one in this condition. I have two set up that I use regularly for loading target loads. I load quantity with my rl1050's but when you want quality load with the Star. Madison...

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 01:18:15 am »
I rechecked the patent for the Star Reloader.  It was applied for in July 1933, and granted in February 1936.   Since the base of your machine still says Patent Pending, its resonable to speculate that it was produced before the patent was granted, or certianly no long afterwards.   

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT2031850&id=7qdLAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=2031850#PPA23,M1
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com