Author Topic: Phelps indexer?  (Read 11593 times)

Bilbo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Phelps indexer?
« on: January 02, 2007, 01:59:39 am »
Hey fellows,

Surfing through E-bay I found the Star machine listed below. This is the first time I've ever seen a Phelps indexer. Kinda looks like a "Rube Goldberg" contraption to me! Has anyone ever used one or any of the auto indexers with any success? I'm happy with the speed I get with my Stars just advancing them by hand.

BTW: I'm not conneted to the seller, just thought yall might find the Phelps indexer interesting.

Happy New Year to all!

Bill

E-bay Item # 260068506578

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Phelps indexer?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 10:18:32 pm »
I have all of the MA Systems attachments made for the Star. The case collator, shell plate indexer and case ejector. They work flawlessly. The problem is they no longer make these attachments.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 09:47:23 pm »
I had forgotten that Phelps thing.  Think I had one decades ago and do not remember it working.

None of the indexers I ever saw for the Star were all that great.  I know that Ellord hated them because they caused extensive wear.  I just thought that they were a solution to a non-existant problem.
former progressive press collector

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 03:10:17 pm »
I have 1 of 6 indexers a friend made copying an old unit. Excellent quality. Speeds up operation 25-30% but, how much speed or work is desirable? I usually load 300 rds per session. When using the indexer it's convenient to load 500. My opinion is rds per hour  reported loaded w/ a grain of salt. Pulling that handle a dozen or so times a min becomes work after just a few mins! I only use it for 45's [no e-mail]@ present as I have an unresolved small primer feed problem. Clearing problems w/ the indexer installed is inconvenient. To aid in this, and emptying the pdr res, I mounted the indexer w/ T-Nuts & SHC screws. A spin of a T-wrench pivots it out of the way or allows removal. The unit only contacts the case so additional mach wear is non exisatant.

Mr. Walter's comment "the indexer answers a non existant problem" is a good point. Of several additions/modifications to my machine it is the least advantageous. As a side note it has a Hulme, a homemade "freeloader", a counter, it has been modified for loaded rd ejection, homemade pdr bushings, an extra thicker bar to acccept Hornady bushings, a longer operating handle, & has been modified to allow removal of cases for inspection at the sizing station. Any comments from others as to their chg's additions would be of interest!

XRING

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:29:39 am »
I have used my indexer for over 30+ years now and never had a problem..
Bullseye and CAS shooter
AF&AM
Ret Army

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 07:15:03 am »
I am looking for photos of indexers used on the Star.
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray