Author Topic: What are the down sides  (Read 9662 times)

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
What are the down sides
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:36:49 pm »
Okay other then it no longer being original what are the down sides to opening up the tool-head to 7/8x14 ?

The crankshaft assembly how is it disassembled ? are the linkage connertors pressed in ?

Thanks guys I'm sure there will be a lot more questions to follow ;D , I picked this reloader up over the LnL and 650

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: What are the down sides
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:12:48 pm »
  • Standard 7/8-14 dies may not fit into the recess of the shellplate. This will cause a case not being sized full length.
  • The original Star thread of 11/16-24 offers finer adjustment.
  • Star manufactured dies are, in my opinion, more precisely made.
  • As mentioned earlier, modification ruins the originality of these fine machines.
  • The increased diameter, 7/8" vs 11/16", may cause clearance problems. I cannot speak to this as I have no machines modified to 7/8".
  • I would consider buying a Dillon or other progressive before altering a Star machine to 7/8".

Please bear in mind that I am a Star purist and my views are severely biased.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:36:14 pm »
I would have dies turned to star thread, rather than the toolhead to 7/8 x 14.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:13:10 am »
My view is that what's left of the original star equipment is all there will ever be, so I like the idea of keeping everything as intact and original as possible, as unfortunately there will be no more.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 12:10:23 pm »
I agree with Rangedog's views. Fortunately, there are enough of us out there that can reproduce parts to the point you cannot distinguish them from the originals. At least, that is my goal when I machine parts.

When someone undertakes the challenge of reproducing the tool head castings finish machining would not be impossible. Matching the Star "Blue" paint color would be the next achievement and finally, getting replica decals to apply to the finished product would be "the cat's meow".

So, any foundrymen out there? I have only read about this trade during my apprenticeship.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »
Although this machine has a lot of additional parts,I would never alter it's factory originality. I'm also a purist when it comes to Stars.

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 04:37:13 pm »
I now have 6 tool heads.... all have the original die threadings and size.
(.45 ACP,  .38 Special, .357 Super Magnum, 9MM, .38 Super/Comp, and soon .44 Magnum)

If you look at the tool head, the two issues you may have with "normal" dies are as follows....

1) the Decapping and Full Length sizing station is right in front of the cross pin gusset.
Thus a large die may not fit in there.  Some of my tool heads (later) have a recess machined
in them for die entry and removal... Some do not.

2) You will still need appropriate BELLING die made for station #2 unless you totally skip that station.

I think we should all try to preserve our Stars for future reloaders and thus my inclination is to
keep it as original as possible.
Art In Connecticut