Author Topic: CPM on Ebay  (Read 25458 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
CPM on Ebay
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:47:50 am »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: CPM on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:07:56 am »
The primer setup is interesting, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 11:51:18 am »
Also, although it looks a lot like a Hulme case feeder, I don't think it is.  Take a close look at the case feeder cam.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Manuel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 06:19:09 pm »
You are correct, the case feeder is not a Hulme.  It appears to be the automatic case feeder (#200) made by CPM.  The three plates, CC, EE and FF that the ebay listing mentions are for .38, .44 and .45 ACP respectively.  The machine is somewhat larger and heavier than the Star and not near as smooth to operate!  (Incidentally, it is not my listing.)  The  one I purchased was poorly aligned and would not load properly (and this could not be corrected).  I was sent as a replacement one that was a demo being shown at a SHOT show in New Orleans (probably 1979) after I talked with one of the originators of the reloader.  I tried it at the Show before accepting it as a replacement. This one was much smoother and well alligned with respect to column, base and head.  Even though it was selling for about $250 to $300 less than the Star at the time, it just didn't seem to generate interest among the Bullseye shooters around here and I don't recall anyone else getting one. 

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 08:40:53 pm »
The powder slide assembly looks differant also.
I would think the 7/8 x 14 die thread size would be a plus, especially with plates available from Rich Daniels in Ct. But the differences in compatibility with a genuine Star could be a drawback, especially if there are problems.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:05:22 pm »
A friend has a CPM. He & several others worked for CPM part time to help pay for their loaders. He recently told me he has a case feeder for the machine which he doesn't use. When I inquired as to using it on one of my stars he told me it had a diff radius. I'm quite sure they were made [no e-mail]@ CPM. Detloff, the owner was a competent engineer, machinist, & small businessman.

A friend who disposed of the last of his inventory of parts & machines for him had used a CPM since it's inception in a deal as above related. After many yrs he acquired a used star. He never used the CPM after, attesting to the superiority of star.

Detloff started out charging close to the same price as star so apparently later on sold them for less. Though I never used one they had some interesting innovations, mostly improvements we have made to our stars such as the loaded round ejector. The primer pickup tubes accommodated 100 and of course the use of 7/8-14 dies. He used a powder bar drilled for bushings. The shellplate is not interchangeable with the stars.

Detloff promoted his units mostly himself as I understood. He & his wife both competed in bullseye so he pushed them there and probably obtained certain tax advantages from those travels. He sold the business to an individual who seemed to just drop the whole thing. I tried contacting him several times for replacement parts needed by friends to no avail. The closest was when I talked to his sister who advised me to stop wasting my time. Fortunately the parts needed were fairly straight forward and we made them.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:55:18 pm »
As of yet no bids on Ebay for the CPM.
Could be any of the reasons alluded to in the posts above.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 09:39:26 am »
The person listing the CPM machine on eBay emailed a number of pictures to me and gave me permission to post them on the forum.   Do to size limitations, I can only post a few, but I have more.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:41:17 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 10:56:39 am »
Judging by the pictures, it looks to be in good clean condition, and most likely functional. May be a cost effective way for someone looking to load the three calibers with standard thread dies that currently uses a single stage.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 11:18:47 am »
The several friends I mentioned in my previous have used their machines for many yrs with good results. Kenn you are right as to an economical way to go. From posts & conversations it's apparent many of us have more than 1 machine, each being used to load a specific caliber. This would certainly fit in well in that respect or for the cals for which dies etc included.

Although hardly necessary, it's sure nice to have the convenience of just "adding primers & powder" and putting out the desired ammo at the stroke of the handle!

The drawbacks have been discussed here and it should be observed these are worthy machines in their own right. As with anything mechanical, condition & the presence of all the required accoutrements to run, are important.

Ron

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 01:56:49 pm »
Had one.  Liked it.  Looks like a good price.
former progressive press collector

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 05:09:39 pm »
Bid up to $ 560.00, with 4 hours left on auction.
Clean press with extras to load multiple calibers.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 09:55:41 pm »
Sold at $ 860.00 with 18 bids.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2009, 03:28:54 pm »
Sold at $ 860.00 with 18 bids.

Was actually $ 810.00  My typo mistake.