Author Topic: Star Shell Plates and Dies Catalog?  (Read 19014 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Star Shell Plates and Dies Catalog?
« on: October 26, 2005, 09:17:48 am »
Does anyone have a complete listing of the dies and shell plates that were offered by Star?

I'm also looking for information on interchangeability of Star Shell Plates.  I don't know if interchangeability is the right word, but basically, what I want to know is what calibers can be loaded with which shell plates.  Here is what I have so far.

1.)   9mm, 38 ACP, 38 Super, 40 S&W
2.)   38 Special, 357 Magnum
3.)   41 Magnum
4.)   44 Special, 44 Magunm
5.)   45 ACP
6.)   45 Long Colt

What other shell plates were offered?  Can the above shell plates be used to load any additional calibers?
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

steven d. ogden

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 04:13:10 pm »
the star progressive was originally chambered in 38 spcl and 32 long--i once had 32 long dies for loading 32 mag; star also made a 45 auto rim shellplate; i have one--they also made shellplates for 30 car and 32 acp
sdo

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 12:42:34 am »
OK, so lets add to the list

1.)   32 Long, 32 Mangnum
2.)   32 ACP
3.)   30 Carbine (same as 32 ACP)
4.)   .380, .223 (also the same as 38 Super Comp.)
5.)   9mm, 38 ACP, 38 Super, 40 S&W
6.)   38 Special, 357 Magnum
7.)   41 Magnum
8.)   44 Special, 44 Magunm
9.)   45 ACP
10.)  45 Auto Rim
11.)  45 Long Colt

Any More?  How about the Super Star 223? Was that a separate shell plate or did it use one of the others.  Was there a 380 Auto Shell Plate?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:29:12 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 09:17:12 pm »
Star's catalogue, which I haven't seen in years, listed, if memory serves, shell plates for nine different cartridges.  Beyond that Star made a few more.  For example there was one for 223 and 30-06.  I'm sure about that because I owned them.

Also Star had several shell plates that they never listed.  Don't remember why that was true but it was.  I had one once, I think, in 30 Mauser for example.
former progressive press collector

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
One other question
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 09:27:41 pm »
That raised one other questions.  Did Star ever make a shotgun press?  Their patent covered that possibility.  The machines that I know that they made because I owned them include:

straightline
non-universal
universal
universal using modified 7/8x14 dies
pistol/223
rifle press

Going through my old invoiced, I found that I had bought the following tool heads from Star.  Of course I got some others elsewhere

45 ACP
9mm Luger
38 Special
44 magnum (for Star Universal/223 machine)
32 S&W Long
32 ACP
475 Wildey (I had forgotten that one)

I also found Ellard note that came with the straightline that he gave me.  That machine was in 32 S&W long.

eaglemike

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://eagle-m-e.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 11:58:49 pm »
Ken,

I know Elard liked the idea of the straight-line machine, but he mentioned it was too expensive to make at the time. I don't know the timing of when it was produced, as it was before I worked there, and I did not ask.

The non-universal machine was called the "progressive", and was the first version produced, according to what I remember of my listening to Elard.

They also produced about a dozen or so multi-stage presses. They did not use a rotating shell plate, and had 7/8-14 holes for the dies. The rounds were moved from station by hand. The primer magazine is a horizontal (formed) square tube, with a slot on the top side for a follower, and to let the gasses escape if there was an accident (it works...). I have one, and the parts for a couple more. I converted mine to use rcbs type shell holders. These were made prior to WWII. Elard indidcated they were trying to make a less expensive loading tool, by did not sell many.

I still have a data sheet for the shell plates. I'll find it, and post the calibers listed here.

all the best,

Mike
Eagle Mfg & Eng since 1990

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 12:17:52 am »
Elord gave me his straightline.  Just as pictured in Phil Sharps book.  Dated I think from the 30's.  It would be VERY interesting to see a digital picture, if that is possible.

Parts for a few more?  Now that should be something that would drive a Star collector nuts!

Elord also told me that he experimented with a bullet casting machine.  Bench mounted somehow.  Had LOTS of cavities.  Not sure but I think that it could make 100 bullets at a time.  Know anything about that?

Elord also told me that he made a number of one of a kind reloading tools.  Things he was thinking about but never quite got off the ground.  Know anything about those?

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 09:27:55 pm »
Star did make a .380 shellholder, as I dug one out this morning before writing this reply. Unlike a number of shellplates I've seen with an electro-penciled cartridge on the bottom of the shellplate, the .380 one I have has been very deeply (but professionally) stamped ".380", apparently before it was heat treated.

I have a friend in the US who has a star shellplate in .25 ACP, but I'm not sure if its a factory shellplate.