Author Topic: More Information soon, Please introduce yourselves...  (Read 44861 times)

starrel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starreloaders.com
More Information soon, Please introduce yourselves...
« on: October 19, 2003, 01:56:57 am »
The archives just received notice today about M-A Systems Accessories  information for the Star Reloaders. A member has sent them to be scanned and posted to the website. They may still be in operation and we will explore and confirm. If you are looking to enhance your Star or replace parts thought to be unavailable we hope to share more soon. Quite a bit of new information, scans and posts to the website will happen over this coming week.

We have been busy with forum setups and contact with contributors and members. After the discussion board tanked, we contacted members and former members to ask that they re-join. We saved many of the original posts, but need to wait until they re-join before we can post the information again.

As we move ahead, please feel free to send digital pictures of your Star, explain who you are and what you use, and let everyone get to know their fellow members.

If you have not filled in some details of your profile, please do so. It will assist members to know a little about your interests and geographic location. Many of you value your privacy and as gun owners and reloaders we understand. At least pick a continent, country, or state.  :D  

The Avatars are a new feature just added, but we do not have many selections as of yet that are appealing. You will find many in the nearly 600 that are just plain not very attractive. The others section contains some shooter oriented avatars sent in from members. Feel free to send me any avatars you would like to see incorporated.

StarReloaders.com
Admin StarReloaders.com

Ray Jones

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 12:09:14 pm »
This is GREAT!! I cherish the two Star Loaders I use, I even like the feeling of being a living fossil. On one is a shaker style case loader and on the other is a Chevron Case Master, Ottawa, Ill. One has a "bought" plate turner and the other has one I made, this was my 1st machine and I didn't know what a plate turner should look like- (it works very well). On both I have made new powder tubes with shut offs, much less powder all over when changing or fixing! I recut by hand a .32 shell plate to fit 9mm. that is the hardest steel!! My latest alteration is that I built a 400 CorBon from one of my 1911's so I took one of my tool heads and recut it for standard thread dies. I use a set of RCBS 400 CorBon dies, (slight alterations needed). Whats that about "necessity being the mother of invention?" One of my shooting partners wants me to load for .40 cal. Any ideas if this is avilable?

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 08:45:02 pm »
Ray
I believe you can use a 9mm shell plate for the .40 cal.
I bought a set of 9mm dies and a shell plate from Bill Cunningham on the bottom of the plate it read 9mm and .40.
His address is listed on this sight some where.
TDO'NEILL

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 08:52:20 pm »
Ray
 Reguarding those powder tubes .They tell me that they are made from a special plastic that doesn't give off static electricty. I hope you used that type.
In one of my posts I decribed how I made my shut off and still used the same tube . Take a minute and see if it makes sence.
Thanks Tom
TDO'NEILL

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 08:57:35 pm »
Ray
I believe you can use a 9mm shell plate for the .40 cal.
I bought a set of 9mm dies and a shell plate from Bill Cunningham on the bottom of the plate it read 9mm and .40.
His address is listed on this sight some where.
TDO'NEILL

Ray Jones

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 12:30:32 am »
Thanks, my 9mm shell plate is not marked, but, I tried a .40 brass and it seems to fit fine, as long as it doesn't rub when installed in the base. Just the dies to get now. The plastic tube I used for the powder is Poly Carbonate, the base and shut off I made from copper and brass. The 231 powder I use does not stick or cling to the tube as I would expect with static electricity. Would any static build up not dissipate through the metals?

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
Hi Ray and Tom
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 01:31:35 am »
Yes, this is great!!!

I have been looking for an idea on the powder magazines. I need to replace my original plastic and have also wanted to get a shut-off version too.

If you have any designs for these you could share, please at least send me a picture as I would like to see what you did.

According to Bill, he used Lexan (Polycarbonate) for the powder magazines. I am not sure he added any special anti-static feature, but some plastics seem to have this as a natural property to some degree or other. I have also heard of clear rigid PVC as a better alternative since it resists yellowing from the powders. I am looking at that solution right now but the tooling costs to setup are pretty high. One company had the exact product but stopped making it in the needed size to match the original 1.50" OD and 1.375" ID specs to fit the Star brass base, aluminum baffle, and top cap.

Did you run into any clearance issues with standard dies in your modified Star tool heads? What did you do to solve the problems? I would like to pick-up one tool head to do this conversion.

I am surprised a 9mm shell plate would work for 40 cal as it is a shortened 10mm. Maybe 1mm is not much to sweat about huh?

The information on Bill Cunningham and Star is in the Want to Buy/Sell forum at the top.

Thanks guys.

Ross

Ray Jones

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 12:15:53 pm »
Ross - I replyed to your questions in the wrong place - look under star presses on e-bay.
Sorry for messing it up - Ray

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 06:50:12 am »
Ross
I made a powder shut off using a .062 x.500 by .500 longer than the powder measure is wide piece of brass. Then I made a slot on both sides of measure into the brass where it meets the aluninum .062x .500. Next slide brass into slot  mark the hole with pencil . Be sure to slide bar to one side before marking.  Remove bar.  Then mill a .375 hole at pencil mark. Also, tighten measure first put a mark where slot should be. Put bar back in now slide it back and forthit should show hole one way and be closed the other.
TDO'NEILL

tk378

• View Profile
New Star Progressive Owner
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 11:31:18 pm »
My name is Tad Kepley and I have just recieved my first Star Progressive Press in 38 Spl. I love it. My good friend and Bullseye shooting buddy Dave Salyer helped me clean it up and get it going. WOW! This thing is impressive. This press sat in a room for probably 30-40 years with no attention. Its getting some now. I also noticed a serial number on the front of the base. Serial number 3627. Does that number mean anything to anyone on this forum. Does it mean anything?

Tad
Tad Kepley

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 11:18:23 pm »
Quote from: Ray Jones
This is GREAT!! I cherish the two Star Loaders I use, I even like the feeling of being a living fossil. On one is a shaker style case loader and on the other is a Chevron Case Master, Ottawa, Ill. One has a "bought" plate turner and the other has one I made, this was my 1st machine and I didn't know what a plate turner should look like- (it works very well). On both I have made new powder tubes with shut offs, much less powder all over when changing or fixing! I recut by hand a .32 shell plate to fit 9mm. that is the hardest steel!! My latest alteration is that I built a 400 CorBon from one of my 1911's so I took one of my tool heads and recut it for standard thread dies. I use a set of RCBS 400 CorBon dies, (slight alterations needed). Whats that about "necessity being the mother of invention?" One of my shooting partners wants me to load for .40 cal. Any ideas if this is avilable?

Call James Haverfield 800-557-4376 for more information.
I think he might have one for sale!!!!

Tom
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.
North Fort Myers, Florida

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 11:18:48 pm »
Quote from: Ray Jones

Call James Haverfield 800-557-4376 for more information.
I think he might have one for sale!!!!

Tom
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.

HOS

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 01:02:44 pm »
:D Hi, Just found this site and was happy to see it.  Most shooters these days don't know what a Star reloader is.  I've been using them for about 40 yrs. and currently have 3.  2 set up for different loads in .38 spl and 1 for 45 ACP.  They are the best.  I love mine.  I have one Hulme case feeder but presently don't use it.  Mine are all set up 90 degrees to the right so inserting the case is right in front of me and I do that with my right hand as I insert the bullet with my left.  Set up this way I can see the case mouth as I insert the bullet.  Almost everyone else that I know, that has a Star, pulls the handle toward them and reaches way around to insert the bullet.  Wondered if anyone else uses the 90degree set up.  I can load 600 per hr. this way and that is sufficient for my .38s and 45s.
I would like to get one in .32 S&W long as I am using that in competition these days.  I see some of you have done a lot of remodeling.  I like the idea of a powder cutoff, think I'll try that.  Looking forward to finding a lot of good info on this site.
HOS
HOS

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 08:28:55 am »
Hi Hos,

You said you had a Hulme case loader you did not use.  Do you want to sell It?   I love my Stars too but use the case loaders.  James H has a 32 cal for sale.  Phone number above !!

Fellow Star User
Tom
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.

Thomas Harrell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Hulme Case feeder
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2003, 08:29:17 am »
Hi Hos,

You said you had a Hulme case loader you did not use.  Do you want to sell It?   I love my Stars too but use the case loaders.  James H has a 32 cal for sale.  Phone number above !!

Fellow Star User
Tom
Thomas Harrell R. Ph.