Author Topic: Universal vs Progessive Identification  (Read 11228 times)

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Universal vs Progessive Identification
« on: January 11, 2007, 04:07:01 pm »
What features can be readily observed to distinguish the 2 versions? Were the Progessive's only made for 38 & perhaps 45? I have read on ebay, by a regular seller, that the ID of the 2 versions are not easily deterimined.

I recently obtained what I judge to be an older machine in 38. Although horribly dirty, it had no serious rust, the machine cleaned up well. I ran sev cases thru it adjusting the dies and all is in order. The owner apparently believed in the use of lubrication which helped preserve it.  There are minor differences from my 70's produced Universal (purchased new) so I have a  machine for comparison.

The survivability of these machines is quite remarkable. I recently helped a new shooter set up a "blue" machine w/ all the options. After more set up time (2 working) , than it took to tear down, cleanup, & reassmble the old Star, it was returned for troubleshooting while the Star is ready to produce amunition. Setup for my original Star was securing to the bench, adding powder & primers, then adjusting bullet seating depth.

Thanks for information any of you provide.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Universal vs Progessive Identification
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 10:32:40 pm »
Universals have shell locating Straps, Progressives do not.   The attached picture is a Universal base with a shell locating strap clearly visable in front.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 10:59:23 pm »
The Star Progressive was only made in 38/357.  If there is another case with the same rim diameter I suppose that would work.  To distinguish between this original unit, made well into the 80's I think, and their later machine, the second machine was called a Universal Progressive.

I bought one of the very last Progressives Star made.  Have the invoice.  That would pretty well date the end of the production of this unit.
former progressive press collector

steven d. ogden

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 02:15:55 pm »
I have a progressive in 9mm.  Ellard found himself with extra progressives and insufficient demand, so he milled an exit gate (as the universals have)  in the progressive to remove the loaded round.  The rim of thed 9 slides into the recess cut in the side of the shellbase.  The progressive was also originally set up in 32 long.
sdo

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 02:40:27 pm »
Steve,

e-mail me.
former progressive press collector

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 01:24:57 pm »
Thanks for the information!

The machine I secured is a progessive....in spite of long neglect, after thorough cleaning, it is producing ammo again. It required 3 replacements, all springs, either worn out, replaced incorrectly, or abused.

Thanks again for the help!

Ron