Author Topic: Star/Magma Sizing Die Problems  (Read 20859 times)

chinook

• View Profile
Star/Magma Sizing Die Problems
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:50:07 am »
Has anyone had difficulties sizing bullets more than .002" larger than the diameter of the sizing die in their Star machine?  I have consulted with Veral Smith on this topic and he asserts that the Magma dies are not properly polished on the inside surfaces, causing bullets to hang up.  I note that if I run a lubed bullet through the die, the next couple go through with little effort but then the resistance occurs again.  Anyone have a technique to circumvent this problem?  (I am using nearly pure WW alloy)

Has anyone tried the Stillwell dies?  These cost a few bucks more, but if they're properly polished the extra expense would be worth it. 

Kind regards,
Chinook

454PB

• View Profile
Re: Star/Magma Sizing Die Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 12:39:39 am »
As a new Star owner, I've already had some experience with this. What I learned is that you need to lube the bullets first if they are going to be sized more than .001" or so. I use the same lube that I use for resizing brass.....which is Hornady Unique, Imperial Sizing Die Wax, or Smiling Mink boot waterproofing. I wipe a little of the lube on the forward bearing surface of every third or fourth bullet.

I recently opened up a .429" sizing die to .430" in my lathe, and I can tell you that these Star sizer dies are WAY harder than Lyman or RCBS sizing dies. If you decide to polish the die, you don't have to worry about enlarging it. I'd suggest you use crocus cloth on a split bolt chucked in a hand drill....that is unless you have a lathe.

chinook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 12:08:20 pm »

Thanks for the tip.  I will  try the case lube technique.  I've got an old lube pad so can simply roll the cast bullets on it before running them through the sizer.  If that works, it will solve an annoying problem with very little extra effort!

I tried polishing one of the Star dies with a polishing compound and a small buffing wheel held in a Dremel tool.  After going at it for some while I did improve it but I think you're right - these dies are very hard. 

Regards,
Chinook

Ron Brooks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:40:39 am »
The problem with haveing to case lube the bullets before you size and lube the bullets in the Star is that you just kicked the speedy aspect  of having a Star. Might as well use a SAECO, RCBS, or Lyman.

The solution is simple, Magma needs to make the sizing dies right.

Ron

454PB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:08:36 am »
The Star lubrisizers don't have as much leverage as a Lyman or RCBS. I made a longer handle for mine, because my arm got sore sizing 330 grain .45 bullets after about 100 or so. Although I haven't broken anything, there are some pretty dainty looking pieces in the linkage.

bedunkoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 04:48:49 am »
Hi,? New to this forum, my first posting here. So be gentle and be kind...Everything has a place. In reqards to problems with dies. Necessity being the mother of invention, I have even resorted to using a so-called `cheap` LEE sizing die to bring a round into conformation into proper bore diameter. Loading a 8x56R was near impossible. First, boxer brass was very hard to find. The same with jacketed bullets. Most people think it takes standard 8mm.? Doesn`t, takes .329.? A .338 was as close as could be found at the time. So I lubed the FMJ .338 and pushed it through the .329 LEE die.? WORKS, just make sure each boolit is lubed. Oh. I would recommend using a "hell bent for election" single stage press (heavy duty) Would not want to subject any of my "STARS" to this. But it can be done and without any damage to equipment. (so far) --- LEARN TO ADJUST AND ADAPT---

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 06:34:06 pm »
Never seen this problem and I've certainly sizes bullets larger than what you are talking about.

I'd call Magma and ask for help.  I've always found them to be very helpful.

Years ago I did an article for the American Rifleman on Veral's moulds so I know him.  But, well, Veral thought that he could take on the IRS and win.  I wouldn't take his advice on taxes and I wouldn't take it here either!
former progressive press collector

omgb

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 02:48:24 am »
I have had ocasional trouble sizing bullets over .002 in my RCBS as well as my Star. I wound up shooting them with Hornady spray lube first and then running them through the sizer. It does seem that the older Star dies are better finished than the newer Magma dies, at least by visual inspection. I don't know if it really holds true or not.

I know Veral too. We've never met in person but we've corresponded and had many phone conversations right around the time his wife took very ill. I've purchased more than a few of his moulds over the years and have liked every one of them. His IRS problems are miriad and sad. Fortunately, he's not offering any tax advice that I know of but if he were, my guess is that it would be to be very careful. He paid a terrible price for his choices. It's sad really because he's an honest man who got some terrible advice.  Any way, I think he may be right about the new dies not being as highly polished. Still, I wonder if that really is what is causing the problem. I'd take Kenneth Walters advice and call Magma and see what they say.

windyhill

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 11:16:32 am »
I have to agree the older star sizing dies are better,, they took time to polish the to the right diameter.. I have four star sizers and have actually worn two of them out.. I have a tool and die maker where I live make my new dies for me and he is the best !!!!!  I would suggest finding a good tool and die maker and have your dies made there,, Good Luck and Good shooting