Author Topic: Hulme Case Feeder Question  (Read 7864 times)

Allaces

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Hulme Case Feeder Question
« on: December 11, 2015, 10:29:25 am »
I have a Star Universal set up for .38 wadcutters, with a Hulme Case Feeder.  I also have a Progressive set up for .45 ACP.
Question: Can I move the Hulme over to the Progressive without any modifications to either the Hulme or to the Progressive?

Also, I see Hulme Case Feeders are going for about $200, if you can find one.  Does anyone make a new case feeder for .45 ACP?
Two Stars in SC
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired

Rolling Stone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Hulme Case Feeder Question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 02:46:54 pm »
I would go ahead and try it. I think both those cases are long enough for the linkage to work alright. The only things to think about is the aluminum top is different on the Hulme but all of them I have seen for 45ACP are also marked 38 and the top is turned the right way with the raised portion up. Pay attention to a distance from something that don't move to either the bottom or the top of the connector that holds the cam on the guide pin. Write it down and fasten it to the machine where you can find it when you return the feeder to that machine. It should be a piece of cake. There is a little adjustment on the mounting bolt and try to have the floor of the feeder level with the base so the brass slides smoothly into the shell holder.

Allaces

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 05:18:28 pm »
I plan to try the switch in a couple weeks as this is my reloading season.  I'd like a second Hulme case feeder, but at $200, if you can find one, I'll try the switch.
Two Stars in SC
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 10:58:38 pm »
If you have a Hulme Case Feeder and both machines are drilled and taped for mounting the case feeder, there is no reason you can't switch it between the machines.   The M3 top plate (also the M2) top plate is for both 45 ACP and 38 Special.   You just have to remove the top plate and rotate the top plate 180 degrees to change calibers.

On some Star reloaders, the tool head comes down a little lower than on others and the top plate can interfere with the travel of the tool head.  This is not specific to Progressives or Universals, it's just how some machines were assembled.  In a situation where this occurs, the top of the top plate that extends under the tool head must be milled a little bit to eliminate the interference.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Allaces

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 08:48:46 am »
Thanks for the info Bruce.
Two Stars in SC
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired