Author Topic: Price for Star machines?  (Read 14365 times)

gunsmither

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gunsmithertools.com
Price for Star machines?
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:26:37 pm »
I have an opportunity to purchase several Star loaders and sizers. One each of .38 Special, and .45 ACP. Not sure if they have the case feeders with them. Both presses and sizers are in good condition.

I'd appreciate a price value estimate for them from anyone in the know. Thanks! Joe

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Price for Star machines?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 07:39:14 am »
Generally, depending on what accessories come with them, most Stars sell on eBay from between $350 and $500.  Once in a while someone will list a 9mm Star, etc and get a lot more than that since they are hard to find.  If it has a Hulme case feeder, free-loader, etc. they might bring a little more.  This is just an estimate from what I've seen lately.

This topic has been covered before.  You might do a search back on some older threads.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 01:16:45 am »
The prices mentioned above are strongly affected by machine condition. On ebay if the picture quality is poor enough to make an evaluation of the machine's condiitions & age price will be affected. Early machines w/ the small hole [no e-mail]@ the taper crimp station are lower in value. A Progressive model, only produced in .38 & not caliber convertible, will generally fall in the low end.

From my experience the prices on ebay are quite often higher than casual sales where there is limited exposure to customers.

Ron H

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 01:30:11 am »
Can anyone advise what the eby fee structure is?  I'm curious how much the offerer must pay when  the mchine is sold.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:00:16 pm »
It's been about a year since I sold anything on Ebay, but as I recall, if you were to sell a machine on eBay,.... between listing fees, value charge and PayPal fees, it will cost you about 10% of the selling price.  The PayPal portion is about 3%
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 07:28:59 pm »
Ebays policies and pricing are getting out of hand these days. I'm feeling it's got a little something to do with greed but then that's just my opinion. In reality a lot of folks are feeling the crunch with the economy and good deals are getting harder and harder to find on ebay. Auction Arms and Gunbrokers.com are another good source...you just have to keep looking! They're a whole lot easier to deal with, that's for sure! Good luck...let us know what happens.

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 10:12:19 pm »
Selling on eBay runs between 12 and 15% once you pay the listing fee, selling fee and PayPal takes their cut.  I switched to selling on Gunbroker.  No fee to list an item, unlike eBay, as long as you don't add any bells or whistles and they will automatically relist the item for no charge if it does not sell the first time.  Ebay charges every time you have to relist.  I sold a couple Star presses on Gunbroker.  It took a little longer than eBay, but I got more $ at the end.  Their selling fees are much less than eBay as well.  I sold a shotgun a couple years ago for $700 and they only charged $18 in seller fees.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 09:52:37 am »
I started a topic in Survey Says for recent sales listings and prices from Ebay.
See posts in that section for a listing of past and recent prices from ebay sales.
Good luck. Caliber and accessories make a difference, but in the end all supply and demand.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"