Author Topic: Angle Lever Cam Adjustment  (Read 11843 times)

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Angle Lever Cam Adjustment
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:03:53 am »
Two questions regarding the Angle Lever Cam. First,  When adjusting it which way do you bend it? It would seem that it would be bent toward or away from the Primer Slide Angle Lever (toward the front of the machine) to effect more or less contact with the Primer Slide Lever. Would that be correct?
What is the significance of the number on the Angle Lever Cam matching the number on the toolhead?

Thanks,
Diesel

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Angle Lever Cam Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:34:25 am »
The other question I have is what is the proper way to bend it?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 11:49:39 am »
I was hoping someone else would weigh in on this, I'm glad to help, but I don't want to come off as the fountain of all Star knowledge.  Anyway, here's what I know.

To adjust the Angle Lever Cam, you bend it in towards the center column, or out away from the center column.  Bending it out will increase the travel of the primer slide (make it go in further) Bending it in will decrease the travel of the primer slide.   I hate to state the obvious, but the objective is to get the hole in the primer slide to line up exactly with the primer punch when it comes up.   

I have only had to make this adjustment once, and it took very little bending to get the desired results,   I removed the tool head from the reloader and used a lead mallet to tap on the angle lever cam.  I think you might also be able to bend it by slipping a pipe over it (that was my second option if the former didn't work), but remember, you only need to move it a little bit.

The number on the angle lever cam should match the number on the tool head in the recess just to the left of the angle lever cam.   Not only should the numbers match, but the font and position of the numbers should match as well.  If the number is stamped in the top of the recess, the number on the angle lever cam should be in one of the corners above the retaining screw.  If the number is stamped towards the bottom of the recess, the number stamped in the angle lever cam should be below the screw hole.   I have seen a couple of tool heads where neither the recess nor the angle lever cam were stamped.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 12:51:52 pm »
Thank You.

What about adjustment for more or less contact with the Primer Slide Angle Lever? Is that ever necessary? I have seen some presses that show little wear on those two contacting surfaces (the Primer Slide Angle Lever and Angle Lever Cam) and some that have quite a bit of wear as well as not being as smooth to operate.

This adjustment process was never an issue for me until I started acquiring a few machines and started changing heads around. I try not to mix and match heads with machines but find it necessary to when I need the large threaded hole in the Taper Crimp Die position.

Also if I can ask, what is the significance of the numbers stamped on the Tool Head and Angle Lever Cam?

Thanks, I really appreciate the info!

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:52:08 am »
Diesel

I think you missed the last paragraph of my last post which talks about the numbers on the tool head and cam.  They should match.  They matched when they left Star San Diego.

I have three Star Universals plus fourteen extra tool heads, and I can put anyone of the tool heads on any of the three machines without have to make an adjustment to the Primer Slide Angel Lever Cam.

If the Angel Lever Cam is bent out too far, it can result in excessive wear on the Primer Slide Angel Lever.   As mentioned before, you want to adjust the cam so that the primer slide goes in just far enough to line up with the primer punch, and no further.

Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 04:33:48 pm »

Thanks much for the info. I appreciate it.

Diesel