Author Topic: star tooling  (Read 58180 times)

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: star tooling
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 09:29:41 pm »
I asked Magma in the last couple of days why they didn't buy the Star reloader when they bought the lubricator/sizer.  Essentially they said that they wish that they had but that they have trouble finding skilled labor so that even if that had bought it it might not have worked out well.

They also seemed to suggest that they might be open to this idea in the future.  So if anyone know the gun who has the company now you might encourgage him to approach Magma and see if they would buy him out.
former progressive press collector

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 09:30:27 am »
Having new production with the same quality as before would be great for all of us that still use and prefer stars. I certainly would be open to adding additional toolhead, and calibers.
As I understand it, the patent has expired, so could not they begin to manufacture them on their own anyway?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 10:33:42 am »
So what's it going to take to let a manufacturer know what we as Star owners/users want? What kind of notification or inquiries and to whom? Isn't Star in Pioneer, CA (IE:Bill Cummings?) doing something along those lines already? I know Rich Daniels here in CT is very involved with making various details as per request. So far he's got good reviews on quality and workmanship. Pete

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 10:47:50 am »
I've obviously tried to convince Magma that they should make the Star.  I think that they have some interest but...  My sense of it is that they already are swamped and that they have trouble finding skilled labor.  But you could always e-mail or call them and ask.

Maybe the thing to do would be to suggest that they start making parts.  If that turned out well enough, i.e. if there really was business and hence profit, that they might consider slowly inching up from parts to complete machines.

There is no doubt that they could do a good job.  The question is could they make money at it.
former progressive press collector

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 11:40:00 am »
Profit is a BIG motivator! From what I've read these machines were in the $1000.00 plus range in the last days of production. With modern manufacturing techniques I would think it could still be possible to keep it there or close anyway (machine work and production tooling done here, castings from China)...I'm sure it wouldn't have go out of sight but still affordable to those that want and need the best! The shooting sports aren't as popular as they used to be so that might become an issue.
For right now, the folks on this board already have there machines...I would think spare parts are more in order for all of US. Built to original part print tolerances!

The USA still has a highly skilled work force (IE: first class machinist/toolmakers) and the facilities to out produce any where else on earth.

Buy American made! Nothing but the best! Pete

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 10:43:35 pm »
There had to have been many components which were outsourced. Castings & dies probably the most important. Changes would have to be made in some areas to take advantage of new materials & processes. Hopefully dimensions would remain the same so as to allow us the interchangability. An obvious area w/b toolheads/dies, making 7/8-14 std. A loaded round ejector should be factory incorporated along with a simple pdr drain system.

It has been stated here that Star increased price just to slow demand. If that is true there may be room for a profit, but in all reality the cost is likely to be very high. Bill Detloff, when he copied star & made the CPM, told us stars were overpriced, but his loaders were priced only a few bucks less. Bill didn't advertise. I'm not sure what Star did but I recall a small ad in the American Rifleman. A new co would, at least initially, have to advertise.

At the range where I shoot I'm regarded as an old fogie or behind the times because of being outspoken about stars. Everybody raves and I do mean RAVE about those blue plastic parted things. That is something else which have to be overcome. The star gives one a lifetime of reloading w/ a large cushion. I paid $360 & there were 2 of us [no e-mail]@ $180. If it would have been possible to have purchased another machine, widely used by my peers for 1/2, I would have been forced finacially to take that route. Competition!!

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 08:25:31 am »
Does anybody know or remember where the steel and aluminum castings for the presses were produce? Foundry name and location? Or die casting plant name and location? It might be worth an inquiry as far as the old molds and dies are concerned? Did Star in Pioneer get these in the deal too? Pete

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 10:18:06 am »
Is Bill the gentleman from Star Machine Works?
If so, I emailed him about three weeks ago. Received a response after about two weeks. He apologized about being tied up and sent info on items and prices that I requested.
I placed a small order one week ago, and am awaiting receipt of items.

At the present time am still waiting.
Sent e-mails without response as of yet. Also, check has yet to be cashed.
Patience is a virtue, but also a necessity!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 01:51:55 pm »
It sounds as though his brief period of responsiveness has ended and he is back to his old ways.  Sorry, but I just don't have the patience to deal with someone like that.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 08:42:19 pm »
Unfortunately this intermittent communication seems to be the "modus operendi".  Fom some of the information on parts he must have a decent supply on hand.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2008, 10:05:39 pm »
Update on parts from Bill Cunningham.

I had no response from my check that I sent in March.
Finnally sent another e-mail that was answered early November.  Had to exchange e-mails and explanations. Bill indicated he had misplaced the check and apologized.
I sent a new check, and more for some additional items. He responded he had received and would be shipping shortly and returning my original check.
Will advise as soon as I get order.

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 07:56:30 am »
Good morning...What's Bills "new" compamy email addrees and phone number that he responds to? I can use some parts myself. Lets see if he's back in business! Thanks, Pete

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 07:59:38 am »
You guys have way more patience than I do.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 11:12:37 am »
I had to have Patience by default.

Hopefully the second time around is the charm.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 11:16:54 am »
45acp (Pete)

I did not communicate via phone. With coastal time issues and work, my effort is better spent dealing via e-mail than playing repeated phone tag.
The e-mail is still the same as listed on the websight.
www.Starmachineworks.com

Good luck!