Author Topic: Rocker Arm Screw - Removal - Question  (Read 8398 times)

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Rocker Arm Screw - Removal - Question
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:23:17 am »
Hi Guys:
I am cleaning up one of my Stars, got it all pretty much stripped so I figured I would remove the #45 Rocker Arm and clean and lube things up.
I backed out the #47 Rocker Arm Screw thinking it would simply leave the base.
However it backs out only so far and then seems to stop.
How do you remove it to free up the Rocker Arm?
Pull it out with pliers?  Or am I missing something..??
Your Thoughts...

Thanks
Art
Art In Connecticut

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Rocker Arm Screw - Removal - Question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:14:42 am »
I took the bolt and rocker arm out on my Star a few days ago with no problems and no tricks.
It's my first star and had been cleaned up beautifully by Bruce(rbwillnj) so I'm sure that helped.
A little pressure on the rocker arm while removing the bolt might help.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 12:42:08 pm »
Greetings Art,

The #47 screw only has about 5/16" of thread on the end. You may have unscrewed it to the point where it no longer engages the tapped base hole.

With a pair of pliers with padded jaws, to protect the screw, grip it and twist left and right while pulling it outward. Be sure the primer punch assembly is removed so there is no tension on the rocker arm.

Please note the position of the rocker arm. IT IS NOT SYMMETRICAL. The radiused ends have a slightly different profile.

Upon reassembly, notice that there is a prick punch mark on the machine base. The slot of the screw should align with this punch mark and be re punched to prevent the screw from backing out.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:09 pm »
Hi Dave:
Thanks for the guidance.... I followed it and was able to get it out.  Frankly, it was a waste of effort.  It was clean, greasy but clean.
So I just used some moly lube and it is now all back together.
Again, thanks.
Art
Art In Connecticut

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 04:01:18 pm »
I have refurbished/rebuilt a fair number of Star and Phelps reloaders, and the part I most often replace is the rocker arm screw.   The rocker arm screw on many machines has a tendency to back out with use.  It only has about 1/4" of thread, and if it backs out enough, the rocker rides on the thread, and can bend the end of the screw.   When that happens, you can't get it back in, and you will have a heck of a time getting it out.   If you see your rocker arm screw protruding even a little from the steel base, screw it back in.   I you do that, it will last forever, they don't wear out.   Very few Stars have died of old age, it's usually neglect that does them in.

When you look at those Star listings on eBay, take note of the rocker arm screw.  If it's sticking out, there is a good chance it will have to be replaced.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 04:29:43 pm »
RBwillNJ:
Great advice on the screw.  The condition of mine was fine.  Totally agree with you about the neglect.
The last machine I purchased came with a slew of spare parts.... for some reason, the previous owner
stashed them but totally neglected the machine.  Even the dirt had dirt on it!  At least there was no rust.
But everything was caked with black GOOK.... residue of powder and graphite and oil gone dry.

I think I went thru about 300 Q tips and many rags and two cans of break cleaner on that baby.

It is now chugging out 9mm and never looked better. ;D
Art In Connecticut