Author Topic: The "Un-Numbered Part" - Brass Primer Base?  (Read 8508 times)

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
The "Un-Numbered Part" - Brass Primer Base?
« on: January 17, 2011, 02:52:07 pm »
Hi Guys:
I was just looking over the Star Parts List and noticed that one of the key parts of the base has no identification number, thus no name.

This is the brass primer base that is both pinned and is bolted to the #12/12U Steel Floor Base.
To this part, the #36 Primer Magazine Socket is screwed and the #22 Large or Small Primer Slide resides along with the #48/49 Primer Slide Angle Lever.

So what is the name of this brass part? (look up at the STARreloaders.com logo and it is pictured in the lower right corner of the logo...)

Also, when I inspect the end of this part, (I have 4 Universals), I noticed a very interesting thing.  
Each has a different 2 digit number punched into the end....  Mine are.... 38, 46, 81 and 95 respectively.

So, who has the name for this part?  Why is it not numbered in the parts list? and what do those punched numbers mean?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:14:46 pm by ARTINCT »
Art In Connecticut

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: The "Un-Numbered Part" - Brass Primer Base?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:17:53 pm »
The part your are referring to was fitted at the factory, and matching numbers were stamped on it, and on the steel base (look below the bronze part).   That part is not interchangeable from one reloader to another.

If you take a look, you will also see that #49U, the Angle lever cam has a number stamped in it, and there is a matching number stamped in the round recess in the tool head.  Not only do the numbers match, but there is a system to the position where the number is stamped (high or low).  
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:45:40 pm »
RBwillnj:

That is really great information.  You are correct.  Each base has the same number stamped in it as well.  So it seems that the bases and "that Part" were fitted, stamped, and then separated, probably when the base was blued.

So what is that part called?  Does it have a name.
Art In Connecticut

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 10:09:04 pm »
I had to check a couple of Stars downstairs and they all had a number on the brass casting.  Interestingly, when I cheked a Phelps machine there was no number.  I guess their fitting and assembly techniques were a bit different. 

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:05:38 am »
Some Phelps are numbered, some are not.   I have one that I'm cleaning up now that is numbered, but the numbers don't match.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:03:28 pm »
If the number on the cam is stamped high (top corner) than the number stamped in the recess of the head should be stamped at the top of the recess.  If the number is stamped lower on the cam, the matching number should be stamped at the bottom of the recess.  The fonts of the numbers should match also.  I have seen large and small font number stamped on the parts.

I assume that they adjusted the cams on the tool heads, stamped the parts, then sent the cams off to get heat treated.  The numbers helped them identify the which cam went with which head for final assembly.   The more combinations they had to choose from, the more parts they could do at one time without mixing them up.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com