Author Topic: Star for .223  (Read 9589 times)

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
Star for .223
« on: September 14, 2004, 06:02:32 am »
I bought my Star to load .45ACP, but my other addiction is AR15. From what I can see, to convert a Star Universal to .223Rem one needs to make a tool plate threaded for standard dies and a shell plate that will hold the .223 case. There is a .223 shell plate on ebay now so apparently this has been done.
I know the machine would have to be set for small primers and the powder measure would need some serious thought for dropping 20+ grains of stick powder. Any comments?
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star for .223
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 07:37:25 pm »
Mike Dillon's first product was called a Super Star kit.  Designed with Star's help, it converted a Star Universal pistol machine into a unit to load 223's.

Star, of course, made two different machines capable of loading 223's, a pistol/223 unit and a much rarer rifle progressive.  The rifle machine was originally made at the U.S. Army's insistence for the Cambodian's.  Think that they were reloading 308 or 30-06 brass.

I owned one each of the two Star units and did a review decades ago on the Super Star kit.  Sold my two units to Ron Peterson guns.  They might still have them but if you call be sure to talk to Ron.  The clerks would know nothing about this.  I'd also be tempted to call Mike Dillon and see if he still had a kit.  Probably not but it would be worth a try.
former progressive press collector

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
Star for .223
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 06:46:10 am »
Ken,
Thanks for the info. Since my first battery of posts on this forum, I have finally put my star into service and after using it and becoming familare with it I see little need for change.  Star's instructions leave a lot to be desired and I got better instructions from the person who sold it to me after my first frustrating day of trying to use it and not blow anything up.
I wouldn't complain about a valve at the bottom of the powder hopper. This business of using a card blows. Other than that, I can't see anything else that it needs.
I did put in a powder baffel http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/baffle.pdf
as I do with all my drops, but discovered the star seems to have something built in at the bottom using a double funnel. I never tested the consistancy before my baffel was in place so I don't know if it is an improvement or not.
Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray