Author Topic: Storage of Star Machine Heads  (Read 17116 times)

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Storage of Star Machine Heads
« on: December 07, 2009, 02:18:03 pm »
Hi Guys:
I have the need to store Star Machine Heads when they are not in use on one of my Stars.
I have five machine heads and 3 Star Universals.

Today I just lay them on the bench in a quiet area with their powder magazine tubes attached
and all the dies set up and ready to go.  I keep them covered with old pillow cases to keep dust off.

I was wondering if any of you have come up with an ingenious way to store not in
use machine heads?  Has anyone crafted a machine head stand?

All ears for good ideas...
Art In Connecticut

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Storage of Star Machine Heads
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 04:51:00 pm »
I made up these stands for mine a while back.  Holds the tool head as well as the shell plate.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:48:26 pm »
Nice supply of tool heads and very neatly arranged.

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:16:14 am »
I made up these stands for mine a while back.  Holds the tool head as well as the shell plate.

R Bruce!
Wow that's a wonderful idea.  I have a workshop so I can cobble up a few stands!  thanks for the pictures and I also agree that those machine heads are an impressive display.  You go the STAR Jones Baby!

Art in CT
Art In Connecticut

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:17:38 am »
Just remember to do a good job of sealing the wood.  Otherwise moisture in the wood could cause you some problems.  I used several coats of polyurethane and haven't had any problems with rust.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 11:34:03 am »
I do not have as many, but mine are very similar to Bruce's except I also drilled holes, and made cuts to the wood base to accept the base plug as well as the primer punch, spring, and nut, and primer slide.
Allows me to keep all the caliber and working parts together.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 02:04:37 pm »
Just remember to do a good job of sealing the wood. 

Excellent point and wonderful tip.  I will make sure to take the time to do that. A good winter project for sure.
Art In Connecticut

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 08:47:24 am »
Just wondering if I could use a length of plastic tube / pipe that has an OD just less than 1 3/16".  The benefit of the plastic is that is would not expand or contract with humidity.  I will check today and see what kind of materials are available.
Art In Connecticut

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 03:07:38 pm »
Bruce & Kenn,
I would appreciae it very much if you would remove the pics and all comments relating to them. Obscene! And I have to filch thru drawers for parts etc! Was even gonna buy a lost screw replacement from Bruce until my wife came up w/ it.

I feel bad enough about my lack of tidyness w/o you guys showin off!

Ron

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:28 pm »
Art,

I would think that plastic rod would work great and you wouldn't have to worry about moisture transfer. It might be a bit more expensive than wood.  I used 1 1/4" Oak dowel from Home Depot, cut in 5 1/4" sections.  I turned down the top 2 1/2" inches to 1.16"  (about 1 5/32") so it would fit inside the tool head.

Ron,

Sorry, I apologize.

But Ron, your a Master, and I'm a lowly Expert.....and you have your distinguished badge too.  Talk about showin off!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:03:20 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 11:02:37 am »
Ron

Never said I was tidy.
Just a bit organized.

In all fairness, the first storage base was made by my father, circa 1965.
I just copied his for my others.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 05:19:12 pm »
I fashioned my first stand last evening.  In searching the barn for some round dowel stock or tubes, I ran across an old but nice wooden broom handle.  The micrometer revealed it to be 1 1/16" OD which was perfect.  In addition, the knob end of the handle was already rounded,  I used about 7" in length.

I then set up my router table and router with a profile ogee bit and profiled the upper edges of  some square oak 4 quarter stock.  I then drilled a hole for the screw to hold the broom handle in the center.  In addition I drilled about 8  flat bottomed forstner perimeter holes on the underside of the base.  Into these holes I will pour some lead alloy to provide some hefty weight to the base to provide some amount of lower mass.

The 7" section of broom handle was then drilled in the center and screwed from the base to the handle.  The Star machine head fits really nice.  I will be pouring some alloy into the holes and also giving it a few coats of polyurethane finish afterwards.

Thanks for all of your tips Guys!
Art In Connecticut