Author Topic: New Star Sizer adjustments & recommended lube source  (Read 3815 times)

Ed2

• View Profile
New Star Sizer adjustments & recommended lube source
« on: April 26, 2021, 06:22:49 pm »
Recently picked up a new (NOS) Magma Star sizer and had a set of .358 die/top punch made by Chris Smith.  Bought some Carnauba Blue Cast Bullet Lube via eBay.

Made my own base heater using a 1/2" aluminum plates with 3/8 (40 watt) cartridge heater and rheostat. The lube appears to be fussy, lubes flows nicely when the Star base is in the 70F range, below that lube won't flow, above that I get excess lube on bullets and top punch.

When it's working nicely I turn the lube crank pressure in about 1/2 to 3/4 turn about every 20 bullets.

Questions:

Can you recommend a lube & source that works with these Star's?  I'm sizing 130 gr plain base HP cast bullets, no gas checks, single lube groove, has crimp groove and running them in the 950-1000 fps range. Competition use so less smoke is better.

How do I adjust pump plunger S124, watching online videos for comparison my plunger only travels about 1/4" to 3/8" during a full completed handle stroke.  It just seems that the plunger should be have more travel.

Thanks

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: New Star Sizer adjustments & recommended lube source
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 07:51:25 pm »
Greetings,

Since 1976, I have been using the Tamarack NRA 50-50 lube. Now out of business and the Alox used has been discontinued I bought some LBT Blue Soft.

My cast bullet rifle friends use LBT with excellent results.

The LBT Blue Soft is advertised to function in a Star without heat. I still turn on the heater since it is 50 F in the Mann Kave. Have not tried it in warm weather just yet.

https://lbtmolds.com/Products/tabid/5806/Default.aspx

Scroll down about half way and you will find the lube section.

Try some. If you do not like it, selling it is not a problem.

LBT is much cleaner to handle than the old NRA 50-50 formula. Less smoke, also.

Cheers,

Dave

Ed2

• View Profile
Re: New Star Sizer adjustments & recommended lube source
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 09:06:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply...I just sent an email to them to make sure they have LBT Blue Soft in stock.

Now I need to calibrate the cam action for the plunger.