Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Star Reloaders / Re: Powder bar designations
« Last post by FOR_Star on May 05, 2021, 06:07:04 pm »
Hey Luis,

This website is a wealth of Star knowledge like no other.

Post some good pictures from various angles and folks here will help, advise, and encourage you in your Star travels.

Bruce Williams is "Da Man" for Star reloaders, both Progressive and Universal models.
Bruce's contact info can be found at:  https://www.starmachineworks.com/

Welcome to the world of Star.
« Last post by Luis on May 05, 2021, 05:31:20 pm »
Thank you. After reading your post, I see the 00 on the slide and on the slide support of my Star reloader.
Reading on this forum, I am getting up to speed with what I have.
The price of my Star was too good to pass up. I hope I will be able to get it working very soon for loading my 38 spl wad cutter ammo.
« Last post by rbwillnj on May 05, 2021, 09:46:46 am »
Original Star powder slides came in four thicknesses.   The 0 powder slide (marked on the edge for the bar) and typically found on "Progressive" models is 1/4" thick.   The 00 powder slide, the most common, and standard on "Universal" models is 5/16" thick.    Star also made powder sides that are 1/2" and 5/8" thick that are typically used for magnum charges.  These powder slides are not marked on the edge.

All of the above powder slides are marked on the top with the powder, and the charge in grains.

Star made corresponding powder slide housings marked No. 0, No. 00, 1/2 and 5/8.    Star also made spacers to convert a No. 00 housing to handle a 1/2" or 5/8" powder slide.

The 299 designation is not a marking that I'm familiar with, but there are powder slides out there with markings for a number of now obsolete powders.

Bruce Williams
Star Reloaders / Powder bar designations
« Last post by Luis on May 04, 2021, 10:55:18 pm »
New to Star loaders and have seen powder bars with "00" designation or "299" designation.
What do the numbers refer to, or what is their meaning?
If someone can direct me to a chart that explains those number, please do so.
Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Re: Moon Unit
« Last post by tony barone on May 04, 2021, 08:44:29 pm »
I have a Moon unit never used.
Star Lubricator & Resizers / Re: New Star Sizer adjustments & recommended lube source
« Last post by Ed2 on April 26, 2021, 09:06:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply...I just sent an email to them to make sure they have LBT Blue Soft in stock.

Now I need to calibrate the cam action for the plunger.
Star Lubricator & Resizers / Re: New Star Sizer adjustments & recommended lube source
« Last post by fc60 on April 26, 2021, 07:51:25 pm »
Greetings,

Since 1976, I have been using the Tamarack NRA 50-50 lube. Now out of business and the Alox used has been discontinued I bought some LBT Blue Soft.

My cast bullet rifle friends use LBT with excellent results.

The LBT Blue Soft is advertised to function in a Star without heat. I still turn on the heater since it is 50 F in the Mann Kave. Have not tried it in warm weather just yet.

https://lbtmolds.com/Products/tabid/5806/Default.aspx

Scroll down about half way and you will find the lube section.

Try some. If you do not like it, selling it is not a problem.

LBT is much cleaner to handle than the old NRA 50-50 formula. Less smoke, also.

Cheers,

Dave
Star Lubricator & Resizers / New Star Sizer adjustments & recommended lube source
« Last post by Ed2 on April 26, 2021, 06:22:49 pm »
Recently picked up a new (NOS) Magma Star sizer and had a set of .358 die/top punch made by Chris Smith.  Bought some Carnauba Blue Cast Bullet Lube via eBay.

Made my own base heater using a 1/2" aluminum plates with 3/8 (40 watt) cartridge heater and rheostat. The lube appears to be fussy, lubes flows nicely when the Star base is in the 70F range, below that lube won't flow, above that I get excess lube on bullets and top punch.

When it's working nicely I turn the lube crank pressure in about 1/2 to 3/4 turn about every 20 bullets.

Questions:

Can you recommend a lube & source that works with these Star's?  I'm sizing 130 gr plain base HP cast bullets, no gas checks, single lube groove, has crimp groove and running them in the 950-1000 fps range. Competition use so less smoke is better.

How do I adjust pump plunger S124, watching online videos for comparison my plunger only travels about 1/4" to 3/8" during a full completed handle stroke.  It just seems that the plunger should be have more travel.

Thanks

Star Reloaders / Re: DIY case kicker
« Last post by rbwillnj on April 12, 2021, 01:58:50 pm »
It goes through a hole in the "L bracket"    The wire is .015 Hard Brite Spring wire, or at least that's the closest replacement I have found.
Star Reloaders / Re: DIY case kicker
« Last post by FOR_Star on April 09, 2021, 06:47:22 pm »
.............You might consider a thin wire like used on the MA Systems Eject-Ease to push the case back in.   It doesn't interfere with the ejection.   Picture attached, let me know if you need a better one.  This is what I had handy.

Bruce Williams

Bruce, how does the thin spring wire ("whisker") attach to the "L" bracket in that setup?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »