Author Topic: Its for sale  (Read 12227 times)

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Its for sale
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:59:35 pm »
Went to get a look at the Star 10th Ave location, and it's for sale.

Anyone know if this is the same building as the machine shop, or only the same location?

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15797017/418-10th-ave-San-Diego-CA/

John

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Its for sale
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 07:47:54 am »
I worked that area in the late 60s thru the 70s and the Star building was a large Quonset hut probably left over from WWII.
I visited them several times during that period when my shift and beat permitted. It was South on Tenth just off Market St. and the Police Department was at 801 West Market at Harbor Dr.  I would estimate it to be over 3,000 sq. feet, lots of machines and smelled great.
Semper Fi
MikeA
Las Vegas, NV

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:09:11 pm »
This summer I traveled to California for a wedding and visited my in-Laws in San Diego County.   I just had to make the pilgrimage to 418 10th Street.    Unfortunately, I was too late.  The Star Machine Works building is no more.   A condominium building is being constructed in its place.

The site is just a couple blocks from PetCo Stadium where the Padres play.   It was game day....which explains the police and barricades.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:53:57 pm »
I'v been told that all the machinery in the Star Bulding were ran by overhead belts and pully's and that the machinests were mostly of German decent and that each machinest made only one or two of the star parts and that was how they maintained the quality and precision of the parts. also I have heard that the Building was a Qaonset Hut type and others have said it was large metal building.  All hearsay on my part of course.

Good Shooting

Lindy

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Someone Who Was There....
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 10:00:04 am »
Greetings,

A friend and fellow shooter went to Star to purchase parts while on a job assignment in San Diego. Here is his recollection of the visit.

That's the place!  If I remember correctly, I went there on a Saturday,  so the shop wasn't working full bore, but there were two machinists working,  The office guy (timekeeper?) was the one who took care of me.  I wish they had some photos of the inside of the shop.  All the machines were run by belt and pulley from overhead jackshafts.  The 2 guys who were working each had two 5 gallon buckets; one full and the other one empty.  There were a couple of hooks on which to hang the buckets on each machine.  They'd pull a piece out of the full bucket, run it through the machine to make whatever cut that machine was set up for,  then put the piece in the other bucket..  When all the pieces in their bucket had been transferred, they'd go to the next machine for the next machining operation.

The place would have driven a modern OSHA inspector up the wall.  A lot of the machines were so close together you had to kind of slide sideways to get between them.  No white lines on the floor to tell you how far to stay away.  With all those overhead shafts and belts flopping, I remember it was kind of noisy in there.

The picture of those two people standing in front of the big sliding door under the "STAR MACHINE WORKS" sign are standing in the alley.  The shop faced the alley; there was no street entrance.

Don't even remember, any more, what part I needed replaced.  Maybe the powder reservoir.  The guy who's widow I bought my Star from had left it partly full of powder, and the plastic tube had sort of melted.

Memories............

Thanks,  WES

P.S.  Did you know that at that time, the primary product of Star Machine Works was not loaders, but sprinkler heads for the Southern California citrus industry?  Overhead sprinklers were used to combat freezing temperatures - which could ruin a complete orange or lemon crop in one night.  It wasn't quite as effective as lighting a whole orchard full of smudge pots, but it sure was better for the atmosphere, and I think it was probably less expensive.

Cheers,

Dave