Author Topic: installing lube  (Read 9732 times)

CaptDave33

• View Profile
installing lube
« on: August 12, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »
I have an old star lubricator and resizer which has not been used in about 40 years.  It appears to be working but is in need of lubricant or grease. I do not have the instructions, and cannot remember what I did many years ago.   I have unscrewed the pressure screw and pressure nut and removed this section.  Is the thrust collar suppose to come out with it or does the grease go on top? Or is the whole spring and lower washer come out?  If it goes on top of the thrust washer what pressurizes the grease?  There is also a hole in the side of the grease cylinder, above the thrust washer.  Is lube suppose to come out of this?  Thank you for any insite.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: installing lube
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:10:05 pm »
Once you remove the pressure screw, remove the pressure screw handle and flip the pressure screw upside down.  Now thread the top of the pressure screw onto the top of the pressure spring piston rod and pull up on the pressure screw nut to pull the pressure spring assembly out of the lubricator body.   Depending on the type of lube, and the condition of the lube, in the lubesizer, you may need to heat things up a bit to get the pressure spring assembly out.  A hair dryer should provide sufficient heat.  

Since you haven't used the lubesizer in a while, I'd recommend using some heat to get all of the old lube out before recharging it with fresh lube.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:31:49 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

CaptDave33

• View Profile
Re: installing lube
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 05:53:43 pm »
Thanks a lot.

I did as you recommended and all worked fine.  Will clean out the old lube though.  Thanks for the info.