Author Topic: Need help! What do I have ?  (Read 13986 times)

waternut

• View Profile
Need help! What do I have ?
« on: January 03, 2009, 02:37:04 pm »
Hello, First post and was happy to find this site. My father in law passed and left his reloading equipment to my wife and I need to try and identify what it is and what it does. I reload shotgun but have never got into pistol reloading. Don't know if we will sell or keep just need to know a little about it. I figured pictures are better than description so here they are. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 05:33:27 pm by waternut »

waternut

• View Profile
Re: Need help! What do I have ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 02:40:06 pm »
Forgot to mention the one lubber/ press was in a box and looks new but can't say for sure. The one is set up for 38-357 and the other is 45.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:11:54 pm by waternut »

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 09:01:18 pm »
First photo: silver block marked .45 is a top plate for a Hulme casefeeder. The brass bar with the hole is a Powder slide for a Star Reloader.  The center cylinder is a sizing die for your Star Luber-sizers (the two machines in the lower photos).  The third photo is a tool head for a Star Reloader.  In the lower photos are parts for a Star Reloader: shell plate, primer slide, primer punch tool.  If you check out the tool diagrams on the site, you should be able to id them okay.  Where's the Reloader?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:04:50 pm by CDRT »
Distinguished Pistol Shot

waternut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 08:34:50 am »
Don't know what happened to the star reloader. I have found a RCBS Rockcrusher and a Lyman ST but couldn't find any other Star equpt. Wish it was all there as am impressed with the quality. Don't know if I will sell or try to find the parts I need to make it usable. Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:19:33 pm by waternut »

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 11:14:41 pm »
Unfortunately, a tool head is a poor place to start in trying to rebuild a Star press.  It appears you have to parts to convert whatever press he had to a different caliber, i.e. tool head, shell plate, primer slide, etc.  By themselves, they would bring a good price on eBay.  From your photos, it appears the tool head is set up for .45 ACP.  Am I close?

If you could find a Universal in .38 Special or some other caliber, you would be able to use it as a platform for the tool head and parts you already have.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

waternut

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 05:54:46 am »
The head is loaded with 38 parts but have the things for the 45  also.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:56:40 am by waternut »

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:16:05 pm »
You can buy a universal set up for most any caliber then use the parts you have, filling in any gaps, and end up with a versatile, quality machine. Universals in .38 special probably w/be the cheapest but there are many variables, quality demand etc.
Ron

robertstewart1

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:35:44 am »
I would be interested in buying the parts for star loader. [no e-mail]@.rr.com 1-704-534-1064