Author Topic: Getting Ready to Buy My First  (Read 16765 times)

dobe1

• View Profile
Getting Ready to Buy My First
« on: May 16, 2008, 09:15:51 pm »
Star Lube/Sizer

Do I buy directly from the factory, or is there a better deal through a reseller?  Do most of  you have the heating element, or the basic model?  I will be sizing about 2-3000 per month, and thought the heating element may come in handy.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dobe

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Ready to Buy My First
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 03:44:02 pm »
I haven't sized or cast for a # of yrs but used mine reg for a number of yrs. Advise the heater. Except in summer w/the old soft lubes I use external heat sources, mainly light bulbs. With the hard lubes prevalent now it is a must.

Later a couple of the guys had motorized units & we tried to lube in the summer. Put the sticks in the sun and used a heater. Production was high 40's per min so with many to lube down time was a killer. The softer the lube the easier to change "sticks".

Ron

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:41:54 pm »
If you use hard wax lubes like I do, a heating base is esential.  If you use the soft lubes, you can get by with extenal heat from say a light bulb against the base.   The magma heater is very nice becuause it has a thremostat so you can pretty much set it and forget it.   The heater that I have is very much like them Magma Engineering heater.    Prior to finding my current heater, I used the Lyman heating base.  It's very inexpensive, (only about $35 from Midway) but it doesn't have a thermostat.   Its slow to heat up, and tends to get to hot.  Midway used to sell there own heater that had a thermostat, but they don't seem to offer it anymore.  Sometimes you can pick them up on eBay, but your probably better off to get a new one from Magma.

There is a sweet spot for heat,,,different for different lubes, but its nice to be able to set your heater so it will maintain that temperature.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

dobe1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:38:55 am »
Thanks for the info.  I'll be ordering directly from the factory, if there are no more economical sources.

Dobe

Edubya

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:41:36 pm »
I lucked out and bought a used lube/sizer with a heater base. I've read where some guys have used an old clothes iron, removed the handle, turned it upside-down and mounted it to the lube/sizer. They have the heat control rheostat and were very pleased with the economy of it.
EW

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 06:57:44 am »
The Previous reply is quite interesting...??

In any case,  For either the Magma or the Star Lubrisizer I would suggest three options.... if conditions warrant....

1) If you are using hard wax based lubricants as is typical in pistol shooting, then the Magma Heated base is the best choice.  It has a rehostat for heat control and a little light that comes on when the heating element is activated and goes of when inactive.

2) The Magma bullet feeder (which is best mounted on their heated base just discussed is a wonderful addition to the lubrisizer and you should consider it.

3) The D or Shovel Handle is a nice option to have when doing as you mention 3000 bullets per month.

I hope this helps you out.  I have two lubrisizers, one is always set up for 45 ACP and the other gets changed to what ever I need to lube at the time.

Cheers
Art In Connecticut

Dale53

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 05:54:04 pm »
This is an old post but the Star lube/sizer is certainly current. I use a Lyman heater. It has no thermostat and really needs one for best results. I put a simple rheostat on mine and leave it set at one place for excellent results. Trial and error will have you "up and running" in no time.

You can buy a simple electrical outlet box and install a light dimmer switch in it together with a socket. You merely plug the heater into the box, and plug the rheostat box into the power outlet.

It is much less expensive than Magma's heater and works as well.

Just a thought or two...

Dale53

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 02:21:40 pm »
EXCELLENT IDEA  ;) :D ;D ::)
Doc -
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain