Author Topic: In process of converting to 45acp  (Read 8334 times)

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
In process of converting to 45acp
« on: March 14, 2021, 06:14:27 pm »
Hi, I finally put together a little bit of money to convert my universal over to 45 ACP. I bought a tool head with dies and a shell plate.  Still missing a few parts, but I’m in the process of checking everything out that I just received, and I discovered that the shell plate openings are large enough that a 45 ACP casing will pull straight out if it’s not pushed all the way to the back of the groove.  I’m guessing that must mean I have a 45 LC shell plate instead? I’m wondering if that is a less common shell plate than 45 ACP, and if I should pursue getting a replacement from the seller if it’s available or if I should keep it and try to trade for a 45 ACP shell plate and maybe a few of the other parts that I’m needing? I thought maybe we could turn it into a win win for me and somebody looking for a 45LC plate.  I think really all I’m lacking is the large primer punch and nut, and the large primer feed bar.  I’m also going to be needing a charge bar but I don’t know yet which one.... maybe a blank. 

It looks like the openings in the shell plate are .492” wide.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:33:46 am by daviscustom »

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
It appears that the case diameter at the base for 45LC is .48 so that appears that’s what this shell plate must be designed for -  .01” slop for the case sounds about right. 

Just heard back from the seller and unfortunately it wasn’t just a mix-up, it was misidentified. Anyone looking for a 45LC shell plate?  He’s willing to take it back of course but I’d rather find the plate I need.

bwpsc

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Look on e-bay for 45LC shell plates. They go for more than .45acp plates. Maybe 3 times?
Are the dies correct? Marked .45acp and not .45LC? Several hundred dollars difference.
The .45acp dies are the second most popular dies in the Star line up.
Shell plates are out there.
Good luck,

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Yes the sizing die is marked 45acp so hopefully I’m good there, but I will check them out more closely tomorrow. Since I don’t have the correct shell plate I haven’t been able to run any cases through to check it out yet, but I can try to take some measurements

I thought maybe I might be better off just keeping this one and try to do a little horse trading with it instead of sending it back for a refund.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:28:21 am by daviscustom »

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Greetings,

The 45ACP sizer can be used for 45 Colt.

Check the seating die for identification. 45 Colt was stamped "45 C" on some I have seen.

How is the shell plate identified? If genuine Star, it will be stamped "45 Colt" or "45 C".

Photos of the suspect parts would be a great help.

Cheers,

Dave

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
The only marking on the shell plate is a G stamped in the recess on the bottom side.I don’t have any pictures with me at the moment so I can’t post any pics until after work.

Thanks for the info on the 45 colt markings to look for, I will certainly check that out.

Edit:You know now that I think about it I guess it’s possible that that is a C instead of a G that’s stamped on the bottom side… I will look more closely when I get home.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 11:51:52 am by daviscustom »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
45 Colt Shell Plates made by Star are generally marked LC.   So I'm guessing yours was made by someone else.  A picture would help.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
The marking on the shell plate is definitely a G… I’ve been monkeying around with my phone and I finally got the pictures small enough, but now there’s an issue with the file type trying to upload them so I’m still messing with it. I also have not been able to find any markings on any of the dies on the tool head other than the sizing die and it is a lifetyme.  It does have two vertical lines cut in the knurling of the sizing die that look like they were done with a cold chisel.

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile

I just realized if I’m going to do a link, I might as well do a high-resolution picture so they should show you more information about the condition

https://i.imgur.com/4lkf7yk.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/dsib9Vn.jpg

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Hmmmm, it looks like maybe my dies are 45LC as well.

My social secretary was rushing me out the door to a birthday gathering, but I grabbed a fired 45acp and it bottomed out in the seating and taper crimp dies.

The shell plate is .218 thick.  That was the only measurements/tests I was able to preform so far.

Earlier, I did notice the lower counterbore on the shell plate seemed pretty shallow, but I haven’t had a chance to measure it yet.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 08:08:27 pm by daviscustom »

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
After further consideration and a second less-hurried look, the dies probably are 45 ACP....here’s a picture with two fired 45acp cases stuck in the seating and taper crimp dies. The case expander is 1 7/8” long.

https://i.imgur.com/CIvuzZO.jpg

So the big question is the shell plate, is it 45LC?
The outer diameter of the shell plate is 3.678”. The bottom counterbore appears to be about .06” deep and it is about .57” wide.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 11:28:29 pm by daviscustom »

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
I would assume the critical diameter on the shell plate in terms of pocket position would be the distance from the back of one pocket to the back of the pocket directly across from it?.... on the shell plate that dimension is 2.763”..... maybe I’m missing something but the actual outside diameter of the plate seems less critical.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
The internal dimension is associated with fitting over the column.
The overall outer dimension is important to insure the plate seats correctly in the machine base. Obviously if too large and it will not fit and index correctly.  Too small and it will begin to impact shell alignment and location at each station. The locator straps function with a correctly sized shell plate to insure cases are centered at each station of he loading process.

Bruce Williams,   "RBWillNJ"  on this site is the resource for all parts Star.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
The “inside “dimension I was talking about is the distance from the back of one shell pocket to the back of the opposite shell pocket which would tell you if the holes for the shells were at the right diameter to line up with the dies in the machine.  The center hole seems to be the correct size to fit the main post of the machine.

daviscustom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Here are a few more accurate dimensions.... my original measurements were done with my retired calipers that I took home with me and they’re a little bit worn on the tips were you measure inside dimensions.  I discovered the openings for the cartridge pockets are about .480” at the back of the pocket and the wider dimension I gave earlier of .490-.492 is in the “funnel” that guides the cartridge into the pocket.

https://imgur.com/a/m5VCevI
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:40:38 am by daviscustom »