Author Topic: Converting a Star Progressive to 9mm  (Read 13617 times)

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Converting a Star Progressive to 9mm
« on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:30 pm »
Is is feasible to convert a Progressive (not Universal) to load 9mm.

I have two Stars and would like to set one up for 9mm.  I have a lathe and can do light machining and I have access to a set of 9mm Star dies and a Star shell plate.

Thanks,
Don Verna

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Converting a Star Progressive to 9mm
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:49:28 pm »

Unless someone knows differant, the major difference (outside the "O" powder housing) is the inclusion of locating straps on the Universal model to allow for adjustment of differing caliber brass rims.
The 9mm being smalled that the .38, should not be impacted by the lack of locating straps.

You may have to make adjustments to a powder bar to get the desired charge, or obtain an adjustable model, or upgrade to the "OO".

There were (are) progressives in .32, which is why I think the 9mm is an option.

Anybody else know something differant, or something I missed?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 12:31:44 pm »
There is a .38 shellplate on ebay.
The seller states it is for the Progressive not Universal.
I do not know why, or what the reason is.
Anybody care to elaborate?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:31:22 pm »
Ricketts is a good Ebay seller who sells a lot of reloading equipment, including a lot of Star equipment.  Generally knows what he is talking about, but in this case I would be surprised if  he were correct in his assessment that the shell plate would be for a progressive only, and would not work on a Universal.   

Progressives have a slightly smaller base, and many shell plates designed for a Universal will not fit on a Progressive.   However, any shell plate that fits a Progressive should work on a Universal.    I have had quite a few 38 Special shell plates.   Most are unmarked, but some have a U stamped in the bottom.   Star used the U on their parts list to designate parts that were unique to Universal machines.   I have compared the shell plates stamped with the U and could not find any difference between them and the unmarked 38 Special shell plates.  Having said all of that, I have never taken a shell plate from a Progressive and tried to use it on a Universal.

dverna,

333OKH is the guy to contact regarding converting a Progressive to 9mm.    I know he was in the process of doing it, but don't know if he finished or how it worked out.   I made a base plug for him so he could use a taper crimp die in the last station.  The hole in the Progressive is much smaller than the one in the Universal.   I know George also mentioned something about machining the 9mm shell plate so it would fit a Progressive.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »
Bruce is correct, i had Rich Daniels make me a 9mm Shellplate, i had to machine a few thousands off the O.D to fit the progressive press, the machine is set up in 9mm and works fine, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

dverna

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:46:30 pm »
Thank you gentlemen.  I am set up to do some light machining and a friend has a bigger set up; soturning down the shell plate is not a problem.

George, I gather that the case was well contained in the shell plate and the "straps" used on the Universal are not needed?

There is a 9mm shell plate and die set on Ebay at $251 currently.  If it does not get too ridiculous in price I may go for it.  Otherwise I will be selling one of my .38 Progressives as I have not used it in 5 years.

Don

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 06:59:26 pm »
Like 333OKH my 9mm shellpate had a larger OD than base ID. From that it would seem all 38 plates have a smaller OD as I use my Universal plate on the Prog. I use it as the Prog was an old , very dirty nmachine I found and with a plate was so stained I hated to have it on my bench.
Ron

Jerry Lehrer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 05:56:26 pm »
Shooters,

Believe me, it is NO PROBLEM to set up a Progressive for 9mm.. If the 9mm shellplate was too large, I chucked it in my lathe and ground off the few thousandths with my toolpost grinder (a Dremel, modified).

Toolhead with taper crimp was no problem, just don't expect drop thru of the
loaded round.

The Progressive can also be used for 38 Super, as well as being able to set up for 32 S&W Long.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:38:09 pm »
I found myself short 1 item, a lathe.

Ron