Author Topic: Seating SWCs on my Progressive.  (Read 3125 times)

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Seating SWCs on my Progressive.
« on: May 15, 2021, 07:49:03 pm »
Many years ago I bought an old Star Progressive that came from the John Amber estate.  It was/is set up with Hulme case feeder but otherwise out of the box stock, equipped to reload mid range 38 wad cutters for Bullseye competition.    I don’t shoot very many 38s and though we got the press up and running several years ago, it mostly languishes in my basement.  :'(
During one of several abortive attempts to start using it once again, I contacted Bruce and purchased but never installed a seater to seat semi wad cutters rather than the current full wad cutters. My question is (if we ignore powder charge for the moment) do I need to do anything else besides change the seating die to convert from WC to SWC loading?
Sounds stupid I know, but keep in mind I’m barely making the jump from 310 tools to single stage and turret presses.

TIA ~ Froggie

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Seating SWCs on my Progressive.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 02:11:13 pm »
Other than possibly having to adjust your crimp, there should be nothing else you would need to do, except powder measure as you mention
Good luck..
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Seating SWCs on my Progressive.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 01:28:02 pm »
Thanks NYKenn.  This is working up toward the top of my to-do list and should be done within the next month or so.  I'm hoping to set my Star Progressive and Star Lubricator on their own little bench dedicated to loading 38 Spl only, but readily switchable between 38 MRWC and SWC.

Regards,
Froggie