Author Topic: Mounting a Star Progressive  (Read 9914 times)

ateleng

Mounting a Star Progressive
« on: December 17, 2016, 09:32:10 am »
I am new to the forum and have just acquired my first Star Progressive; a 38 Special, from a nearby police department.  Its vintage is somewhere around the mid 1970's, was used for a few years and retired along with their 38 Special firearms.  It is dusty but otherwise in excellent condition. 

I have read through most of the postings on the forum.  What an awesome collection of information about the Star Reloaders and Lubri-Sizers. 
I have owned 3 Star lube-sizers for many years and recently acquired a 4th.  No doubt the finest lube-sizer on the market!

While reading the forum I saw photo's of a couple different ways you folks have mounted your Star reloaders.  Would you be willing to share additional photo's of your mountings?  I would like to mount mine in a manner befitting such a fine tool.  I prefer not to purchase a ready made unit to do this.  I have a good wood shop and hardwood material and can make most things myself but I lack tooling and experience in the metal arts.
From reading the forum comments I can see I may need to design in space for future Star units.   :)

Thank you for sharing so much information about the Star equipment.  My quest will continue to find another reloader and various attachments such as the Hulme case feeder.  Thank you! 

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting a Star Progressive
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 11:55:53 am »
I'll Start with a Pic. of My setup. I'm sure others will follow with their Ideas.
I have several stars, they all mount on the bench in the same spot.

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 02:34:22 pm »
Neat set up.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 11:58:30 am »
Greetings,

What is that like new H&G mould you have in the background?

You are way more organized than me. Compliments!!!

Cheers,

Dave

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 01:12:23 pm »
Greetings
That H&G mold is from when I first stated casting in about 1956, it is a 10 banger in .38 special semi wadcutter. I also have
H&G 4 bangers from the same period in wadcutter, semi wadcutter and round nose. All cast close to 148 gns with wheel weights. They have cast untold amounts of bullets. They are well kept, and I still have the original boxes  they were shipped in. The lead pot is a Saeco with serial # 18.

Good Shooting

Lindy

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 10:06:16 am »
For me, bench space is always at a premium, so I decided to mount my machines on Midway Pedestals.   The Midway pedestals are very light so I filled the bases with concreate and glued a rubber pad to the bottom to keep them from moving around.   The rest of my reloading equipment (except the shot shell reloader) is mounted using Pat Marlins ROCKDock system which allows me to have just one reloading tool mounted to the bench and swap out other tools as necessary. 

My bench doubles as a reloader assembly/work area.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 01:27:25 pm »
Bruce
WOW,,, Nice !

Good Shooting

Lindy

mdcrace1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 08:16:18 pm »
Hi Bruce very nice setup, can you adopt me please?  ;) Since my last time I bought parts from you I have retired from calif and moved to Tennessee. Take care and look forward to buying move great stuff from you. Take care

Lifetyme

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 10:27:31 pm »
Hi Bruce.

All I can say is "Wow!"

I thought that I had a respectable amount of Star equipment but see now that I am just a piker.  That is an interesting use of the Midway tables.  I have not yet decided on a permanent setup for my reloading equipment.  I don't have the bench space for all of it, let alone the workspace I require in my shop.  I have considered making a RockDock like system that would work with Star machines.  I am having back surgery Monday so I will have a lot of laying around time to think about it.  After I am mobile again I will start working on a mounting system.

Best.

Bob

For me, bench space is always at a premium, so I decided to mount my machines on Midway Pedestals.   The Midway pedestals are very light so I filled the bases with concreate and glued a rubber pad to the bottom to keep them from moving around.   The rest of my reloading equipment (except the shot shell reloader) is mounted using Pat Marlins ROCKDock system which allows me to have just one reloading tool mounted to the bench and swap out other tools as necessary. 

My bench doubles as a reloader assembly/work area.
Best Regards.

Bob