Author Topic: Moon unit round flipper  (Read 12714 times)

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Moon unit round flipper
« on: July 17, 2013, 07:04:40 am »
Hello gents,
I have a moon unit flipper on my star progressive that flips the loaded round out of the shellplate.
It works perfectly except for one issue......the inside finger of the flipper comes to rest on the shell plate thrust nut and this means it is not perfectly centred around the loaded round, so there is a little pressure from the outside finger of the flipper on the outside of the loaded round, causing it to tilt in towards the centre of the press.When I say outside/inside I'm referring to the rounds orientation on the press.
It hasn't been an issue with conical projectiles but I've just changed to a flat nose projectile and every now and then one of the tilted rounds hits the mouth of the taper crimp die on the upstroke, because it is tilted.
I'm loading 38 super, this may not be a problem with the larger 45acp.
I have the shellplate thrustnut adjusted down as far as I care to go.

Anyone else that uses a moon flipper had this issue and come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance.

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Moon unit round flipper
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:55:48 am »
Pic of round in flipper (requested by bummer7)
You can't really see it's tilted, but it's enough to cause the round to occasionally hit the taper crimp die edge on the upstroke.

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:14:10 am »
Rangedog,
thanks for posting a picture.  I looked at my setup and it appears to be a clone of your setup.  I guess the next question is what happens if you remove the case kicker?  Does the last round center itself in the taper crimp die when you lower the tool head?  Or does the last round center itself into the taper crimp die ? 
-s

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 06:53:16 am »
If the case kicker is removed, or even if the kicker fingers are just moved back away from the shaft a little whilst the case is in place, then the case sits dead straight.
It's the inward pressure from the outside finger of the kicker that is causing the case to lean over.

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 10:58:29 am »
Is it possible the stanchion or post on which the case kicker is mounted could be slightly bent or crooked?   

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:43:46 am »
sorry for delay in replying, been on holidays....good thought, I just checked, all straight and correct.

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:02:06 pm »
How about removing some material from the inside of the flipper.

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 02:35:10 pm »
Rangedog  how is that MA System bullet feeder working out? They are hard to find.

rangedog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:56:58 am »
Hello Tony,
Yes removing material would work, or putting a shim in between the inner finger and the thrust nut.I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem.
The MA systems bullet feeder is now working like a charm.I had to swap out the original feed tube with the cutaway section for a tube with no cutaway.The cutaway was allowing the projectile second in the tube to be dragged forward with the first in line as it fed, but a non cutaway tube solved this completely.
As you said it should, the system now works perfectly !!

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 01:45:57 pm »
No problem with the delay in responding as it gave me a chance to reload a few hundred rounds with my Star and examine how the flipper works. 
Honestly, I am stumped as to why your flipper is not working for you.   

Buckhunter

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 03:13:43 pm »
 Rangedog,   I have installed four of the Moon Case Kickers and with the
 aid of this video below they all worked perfectly. Check it out at:
 http://www.sbsdistributing.com/index.php?pr=Star_Press_Accessories

Buckhunter