Author Topic: Another new guy with a couple questions  (Read 8969 times)

3035Odell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Another new guy with a couple questions
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:20:19 pm »
Hello,

Another new guy with a couple question hoping someone can help me with.  I was following up with a member of our shooting club that was handling the estate of an older member that recently passed. He brought a bunch of his acquired stuff to one of our high power matches to sell. I bought an old rcbs Pro-Melt furnace he had. He then told me he still had his "Star Re-Loader" at home yet.  I was not familiar with them but decided to go take a look.  I ended up with it at a reasonable price mostly because it was a mechanical marvel to me. It's set up for .45 acp so I can put it to use.  I am missing a couple small parts.  It is missing the  #39 safety cam assembly, #35 primer rod follower, and the primer pick up tubes.  I am hoping if I provide him pictures of the missing parts they will turn up in the collection yet. My questions are

1. Does the safety cam just keep you from turning the shellplate the wrong way?  Do I need it or is it like the safety switch on the lawn mower seat that most everyone does away with?

2. Were all the accessories like auto-indexers, case feeders, bullet feeders, etc. aftermarket items or did Star make some of them?

3. What can be done with the powder reservoir that has had bullseye powder sitting in it for 40+ years so it can be made clear again?  

If by the pictures you see anything else missing please let me know.  Thanks for any help!

Forgot to add. Please ignore the messy bench.  I'd like to say it is not always like that but truth is,  it is
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:22:14 pm by 3035Odell »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Another new guy with a couple questions
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »
Looks like you have a very nice machine in great condition.   You have a separate taper crimp die installed, which is great, but you can't use a safety cam when a taper crimp die is installed.   I'm sure that's why it was removed.   

The safety cam helps to prevent double charges.  If you are loading a caliber without a separate taper crimp die, the safety cam prevents the tool head from being fully lowered if the shell plate has not been indexed.

You should lower the dowel pin so the top is flush with the top surface of the tool head. 
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 07:46:31 pm »
Nice score on a late model Star with the taper crimp addition.  The loader looks to be in good condition.  Small parts can be found on this site or on Ebay.  Just post a wanted comment in the sales section here.  The powder reservoir may have to be replaced if you want it to be clear again.  At least I have not heard of a way to "clean" one that is badly discolored.  Double base powders with a high nitroglycerin content like bullseye are notorius for rapidly etching and darkening certain types of plastics.  You can make up a little gauge using a wire going through the top hole to measure powder level if you cannot see the powder height.  Welcome to the forum. 

3035Odell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:40:23 pm »
Thank you guys for the help and kind words. Also got a nice PM answering some questions. Really appreciate it.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 08:51:53 pm »
I can help you with the powder magazine and the primer follower.

http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 06:42:00 am »
Welcome to the forum. I'm also a newbie here ,and the amount of information and knowledge here is really great.  I have learned a lot from reading the back posts and learning from others questions and answers.

It looks like you have a really nice unit....congratulations. I'll add to the list of people who recommend Bruce's work. I recently received a rebuilt Universal from him and it's better than I expected.

Best regards and again welcome.
John