Author Topic: NEW Star User needing Help!  (Read 9836 times)

alotabrass

• Active Members
    • View Profile
NEW Star User needing Help!
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:02:18 pm »
 Hello All,
I have recently acquired a large lot of "older" star gear and have been studying this great website due to it being the most extensive information available. But i am still in need of some help. I will be posting some pics soon once i get things up and running for further help. Here are the questions i have for now.

a. although i have read the forum again and again. I still can not determine how to tell the difference between a Progressive vs. a Universal. All my Stars have the "clip" . It seems that i have 2 configured for 38 and one for 45 at the moment but i would like to know if i run any caliber? Can you please provide additional details to determine what im looking at?

b. I have an Auto indexer but its not a Moon. I do not know what kind it is? The only other place i have seen it is on the Reloading Bench Ideas discussion. 45ACP posted his, apparently the same one but i cant figure out how it runs?

c. the units I have need to be cleaned there is some surface rust and  the base is discolored would it devalue it any to polish it.

d. Also i have a extra head that has the star stamp but its green? is this a home paint job?

e. Does anyone know Albert v. Holmes of Florida?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: NEW Star User needing Help!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 02:44:04 pm »
Below are pictures of a Star Universal Base, and a Star Progressive Base.   The shell locater strap is the most obvious difference.  If you have a Universal, you can use it to load any caliber as long as you have the dies and shell plate. 
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

alotabrass

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 03:32:08 pm »
thank you RB then 3 universals it is based on the strap on each! is that the only variance?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 12:55:40 am »
Some of the dimensions of the Universal and Progressive bases are different.   38 Special Shell Plates will fit on a Progressive, but many other calibers will not.   By making the base of the Universal slightly larger, and by adding the shell locater straps, Star added the needed adjustability to allow the Universal to load multiple calibers.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com