Author Topic: Tip on How to Remove Die from Star Lubrisizer  (Read 10002 times)

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Tip on How to Remove Die from Star Lubrisizer
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:08:09 am »

Over the years the removal of the Star sizing die has been frustrating for me.  Using the Star Removal tool does require you to evacuate the last bullet from the die in order to pull the die out.  So by removing the last bullet, you loose the critical point of reference for the bullet punch setup. 

I find the easiest way to remove the die is not to use the tool that star/magma sends to pull it out.  Instead I turned a piece of hard wood down which is just under the OD diameter of the die (.74"). I then drilled a .5" hole in the end for clearance for any bullet that might be in the die sticking out. When I am ready to remove the sizing die, I just push up with the dowel and it pops right out.  Having the heater on makes this removal easier.  Cold high temp lube kind of locks the die in place I have found.

The benefit of this is that is doesn't disturb the bullet inside the die as a set up reference.  Also the hard wood dowel does not mar the machine or the die.
Art In Connecticut

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Tip on How to Remove Die from Star Lubrisizer
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 01:41:32 pm »
Exellent Idea !

Thanks for Shareing, Now To find a proper size Dowl in that junk yard of a reloading room,

Lindy