Author Topic: shell plates  (Read 3985 times)

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
shell plates
« on: December 10, 2018, 04:28:57 pm »
can any tell me,  what shell plates can be used for the diff calibers,  some plates will hold diff calibers,  like the 45 will also take 44 mag,  the 38 will take 30 cal carbine,  is there a full list?,  thanks   jerry

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: shell plates
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 04:34:18 pm »
Possibly there may be some more, but from previous posts,

.32 Long, 32 Magnum

.32 ACP,  30 Carbine

.380, .223,  38 Super Comp.

.9mm, 38 ACP, 38 Super, 40 S&W

.38 Special, 357 Magnum

.44 Special, 44 Magnum
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:20 am »
NYKenn's list above is correct except that 40 S&W does not always fit in a 9MM/38 ACP Shell Plate.   For years I used a 9MM shell plate for 40 S&W, but I have since encountered a number of 9MM/38 ACP shell plates that would not work with 40 S&W.  The specs for the two shell plates ARE slightly different and Star did make separate 10 MM shell plate.   

Gerry,   The purpose of the shell plate is to hold the case in the proper position for sizing and other operations.  In addition to the dimensions of the cut out for holding the cases, shell plates for each caliber are a different diameter which allows you to ensure the cases are fully seated in the shell plate by adjusting the shell locator straps.

Just because you can fit a 44 case in a 45 ACP shell plate or a 30 Carbine in a 38 Special shell plate doesn't mean the shell plate is functioning as it should. 
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 03:11:19 pm »
Bruce,  i understand diameter & centers,   especially for setting the primer,   dumb question on my part