Author Topic: Star Universal Value?  (Read 19645 times)

Duskykiller

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star Universal Value?
« on: June 08, 2004, 05:24:00 pm »
I have a Star Universal with star dies and a Hulme case feeder in 45 ACP. I purchased it new in about 1980. It is in excellent condition. Does show a little use but not much. I have the powder bar that uses Hornardy bushings. As I can't see the sight on my 45 any more. You know an old age problem I have considered selling the machine. I haven't used it in 2-3 years. I have had no luck in determining a fair market price. Of course all the Dillon owners tell me its worth nothing. I would just like to sell it for a fair price. Any suggestions on the value of such a machine? If I can't get a fair price I just may keep it forever as it is a work of art as far as reloaders go.

thanks in advance

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Fair Value
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 10:26:38 pm »
The machine, if it is in very good condition, is worth about $450.  There was a time, of course, when it would have brought more but, unfortunately, Star's day has passed.
former progressive press collector

Duskykiller

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Hulme Case Feeder
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 09:18:04 am »
How much is the Hulme case feeder worth by itself? I have been made an offer on it

Thanks

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Hulme Case Feeder
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 10:14:36 am »
I don't know.

For some years now a really good star pretty consistently has gone for $450.  Oh people ask more but this is the going price.

The case feeders are something that is occasionally thrown in for free but rarely sold per say.  It isn't that they aren't useful but they just aren't all that necessary or desireable.  On the 10 or so Star's that I had I only had a Hulme on one.

Hulme also made a bullet feeder.  Almost none were sold.  Even those only have very minor collector value.

About the only real interest comes from dating the machines.  Up til about the mid-50's Star's were not built to handle Hulme's so if your machine can then it was made after that.

Duskykiller

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 09:59:03 am »
OK got another question. What is Star Machine works? They are selling Star Universals for $1025.00. At least that is what the pricelist says.Am I missing something. Are they for real?

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star Prices
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 10:56:34 am »
Way back when I first became interested in the Star's, in the 70's I think, they were $250.  Slowly the raised their prices to about $450.  They were so far behind in filling their orders that eventually they doubled their prices.  The demand didn't drop.

Prices fell eventually, however, when the Dillon machines came out.  As much as I like Star's, there were just overbuilt compared to current Dillon and RCBS machines.  They were very nice units but you buy a Dillon for far less and it worked just as well.  Prices for used Star machines fell hard.  Dropped down to about $450.  At the height of the Star fame a used Star was actually going for more than a new one because the demand was so high.  Those days a LONG over.

The Star designer/owner died some years ago.  The firm was sold off.  Magma got the lubricator/sizer which is still doing well.  The Star progressive went elsewhere.  I don't know the current price new.  I do know that a careful shopper can find all the excellent used ones he could ever want for about $450.

Of course $450 is more than a current Dillon which work as well.

Star's were beautiful machines.  I had a non-universal, several universals (some with 7/8x14 dies), a pistol/rifle machine, a rifle unit and a straightline.  I loved them.  I also probably had 30 other early progressives.  Star's day, however, is over to anyone but a collector.

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
Star's Day Is Over?
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 06:57:48 pm »
I am not sure what to make of this point of view...

If what is meant is Star Machine Works of San Diego is no longer in business, there is no backlog of orders from a healthy vibrant company, and there are other reloading companies selling presses, then I guess their day is over.

On the other hand, when we see how long a Star product lasts, that it still provides consistency, high value, and has a strong market among collectors and users that simply want the best construction no matter the age of the machine, then Star is alive and well and will continue into the future in a support and maintenance mode. The current Star Machine Works of Pioneer is definitely not the original company. At best, they are a hobby business without any noteworth efforts to market, encourage, or support Star users and the community of interest -- those that are able to get through or are aware of them will support the company, but do not expect SMW-Pioneer to venture out to meet the public or make any efforts to assist or encourage business. Many people are not aware that there is a company producing new parts and building machines. Some members have been mis-informing users as they have their own original parts to sell and see that there is nothing welcoming about SMW-Pioneer that will assure them of quality. Other users have reported great quality and been very happy. I tend to recommend all resources that will support a Star user. I certainly do not wish to suggest I am negative regarding any company or effort currently underway, I do not sense energy or commitment in any of the Star parts or providers to compare with that offered by Magma Engineering to support the Star Lubricator Resizer. Magma is helpful, friendly, responsive, and advertises. No company will gain the limelight without advertising, reviews, demonstration testing, and participation and interaction with users.

Regarding the value of a Star, condition is the key factor, and if all the parts are present and in working order. Few are able to judge this from a picture and there are plenty of documents on this site to cover maintenance and examinations for wear. The average price for a Star Universal is about $450 to $550 in good condition including dies and primer pickup tubes so it can be setup and put to use immediately. Some calibers are worth more, some less, and accessories do add value.

I must take exception to the claim that the Hulme is not desired or useful. It is the most useful additional accessory hardware one can add to the Star. It allows feeding of cases without need to handle each one individually. A Star Reloader with a Hulme will sell for about $100 more than one without. By itself, the Hulme averages $80 to $100 if all the parts are present. Usually the plastic tubes are not present, and will cost the user to purchase them. Be sure it has a top piece that will work for the caliber you want to load too. An alternative is to contact member TDO'NEILL as he makes new feeders, indexers, etc.

At some point in time, Star could return as a major manufacturer if the company was to re-organize around a good marketing plan, establish distributors and dealers, and gain positive advertising to point out the merits of the design that include being overbuilt -- it truely is lifetime quality. A Dillon will not last a lifetime, but you can be assured of replacement parts and wait for them. Nothing wrong with choosing what you want, but there are at least 120 people that have Stars because they are great machines that have already served at least one or two previous owners and are still working! There certainly was no effort to adapt or expand to meet demand of the market, or to find ways to offer levels of quality to compete with other brands, but I can find no way to criticize Star for making something overbuilt, or having such quality that they were able to have a waiting list.

Others have copied it, some improved on it, but few could equal it. I could buy 10 cheap presses and wear them out and still never get the consistency offered by my Stars.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star appeal
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 07:17:50 pm »
No one ever liked Star's more than I.  Finding a rifle machine when they were only rumor was a real thrill.  Getting one of the few straightlines was an even bigger one.  Estimates on how many straightlines were ever made range from as few as three to as many as 20.  Facinating machines.

True too that Star's will last almost forever.  Certainly I've seen machines that have been in use for over 50 years.  That's impressive.  Still Star's day is over.

The current RCBS, for example, is the Pro 2000.  Guaranteed for life.  Even the plastic primer strips are guaranteed for life.  Break a part, which is a little hard to do, and they'll just send you a new one.  That's a real advantage.

RCBS, incidentally, offered to buy Star out once.  Star wasn't interested.

Duskykiller

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Value of My Star Universal
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2004, 09:02:57 am »
I started this issue because I was and still am thinking about selling my Star universal. I purchased this machine new in 1980 with a Hulme case feeder and a Brewster indexer. I returned the index because I just did like what had to be done to the machine to get it to work.

I know I paid a lot of money for this Star but it was then and is now a top quality machine. I would estimate that I have loaded less than 15,000 rounds on this machine. There is no rust or sign of wear on the machine. With the exception of the safety has some marks from hitting it. And the back of the powder slide housing has a small grove from the spring wearing on it. It is like new in all respects.  It is complete with the Hulme case feeder and 3 feed tubes. I am still using the original decapping pin. Nothing has ever given me a problem with this machine.

And by the way I do own a Dillon 550B. This machine has given me minor headaches from day 1 feeding new primers and dispensing of old one. Used primers for some reason continue to fall on the primer feed bar making it impossible to seat the new primer. And feeding of new primers is not a given have had several issues there.

I also have an RCBS in line loader called the Green Machine. A marvel of machine work for the early 80?s. But a total pain to time and operate. Also primer feeding problems. And no matter what you do the primers go in slightly canted due to the design of the case rails.

My point is I have been reloading since 1968 on all kinds of machines. The star is without a doubt the highest quality piece of equipment I have ever used. I posted all over the internet trying to get a realistic value on this like new machine. And have been told on many location out of date not as good as a Dillon. I can give you 300 bucks for it. Well I don?t believe it. Looks like I just may keep the machine even though I don?t use it much any more. I would rather do that than sell it just to clear off the shelf.

Here I am going in circles sell it or not. The problem is I just don?t shoot my 6 45 autos much anymore. Just can't see the sights like I used to. Going to keep the autos pistols however.

Any way enough of my going on this. Thanks for the input. If I decide to sell it I?ll just post it on e-Bay with a reserve auction. If I don?t get what I want it won?t sell.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Star Universal Value?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 09:41:05 pm »
A 9mm Star just sold on Ebay for $ 760.99.
I think expensive, but it really is a question of supply and demand.
It is really worth what someone will pay for it!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 05:05:20 pm »
The idea of selling the Star on Ebay with a reserve price of $450 (or 500 since it has a Hulme) or so is a good one.  It would also be a good idea to watch Ebay for a few weeks before listing.  And if your reserve is not met, don't despair.  The pool of bidders changes from week to week.  I've seen Hulme feeders go for 150, and there is one up now that is currently at 50 with several days to go.  The last few days always show a flurry of bidding, and sometimes bidders get carried away and bid far more than might have been expected.

I wish I'd encountered your Star before I got mine.  I had to add an O'Neill case feeder (an excellent version of the Hulme design) as well as a new carbide die, a safety cam, and a primer magazine.

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 11:48:14 am »
I am interested in your press. Please contact me at wbaker1782 at aol.com.
Thanks,
Diesel