Author Topic: Star Powder Tube Thread Size  (Read 16569 times)

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star Powder Tube Thread Size
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:00:26 pm »
Does anyone know what the thread size is on the lower portion of the Star Powder Tube? I've got one that I need to clean the threads up on and would like to "chase it" with a die afterward if it is a common size.

Thanks

bustertoo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star Powder Tube Thread Size
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:50:41 pm »
The powder resevoir thread is 5/16-27

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:20:42 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Diesel :)

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 02:56:46 pm »
if you are talking about the thread for the top half of powder housing, l beleive it is 9/16x27 that is what l use for my powder drain attchmt.

regards   maurilew
maurilew

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:08:34 am »
HI, yes I'm talking about the brass fitting on the bottom of the powder tube. Is that what you are refering to?
Thanks,
Diesel

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:23:37 am »
right,the 9/16 x27 die is expensive unless you can find one someone has to sell or let you use. if it is real bad anew one would be easier. hey,where do youlive close to calif.? ifso send it over l will clean it up you pay freight, to simple to charge anything.
maurilew

bustertoo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 10:20:57 am »
Sorry about putting down the wrong diameter must have been a brain ferbil. Wholesale tool company has import dies in that size for $8.
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/27529/nm/1_1_2_OD_High_Speed_Special_Die

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 10:20:12 pm »
Thanks for all the info. I can probably get the threads cleaned up & chase them with the die.
Diesel

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 02:14:12 pm »
Anybody have any thoughts or opinions about converting over to 7/8-14 dies? I have a fellow here in CT who does that but wanted to get some feedback from anybody who already might have had that done. I have a lot of these dies already and just that part alone would save me a lot! Thanks...Pete

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 03:21:40 pm »
When you say converting over to 7/8 -14 dies, I assume you mean drilling and tapping a tool head to accept standard dies.    It can be done, but there is more involved than you might think.   The end of the sizing die needs to be turned down so it will fit into the recess in the shell plate.  Otherwise you won't get full length sizing.   Once you drill and tap the the seating station for a standard seating die, there isn't much clearance for the seating die because of the powder slide housing and the tool head anchor screw.  On the ones I have done, I have had to reduce the diameter of the top of the die, and also had to shorten it so it would fit under the anchor screw.   You also need to think about where you are going to do your case expanding and flaring.  It's best if you use a Star expander plug and do it in the priming station.  If you don't have one of those, you will have to use an expander die, which probably means expanding in the seating station, and seating in the taper crimp station.....but then you don't have a separate taper crimp station.

I had one tool head that was drilled and tapped for 7/8-14 dies, and I did use it for loading 9mm and 40 S&W for a while, but I sold it once I was able to acquire Star parts.   It took a lot of work to get everything set up and working the way it should.

Richard Daniels, I think the same guy your talking about can also turn down dies to standard Star dimensions, though I don't know if he will work with yours.

You can also buy new Star dies from CH Tool and Die.   They recently completed about 50 sets of dies in various calibers.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 09:20:52 am »
Does anybody have an address and telephone number for CH tool and die? Thanks

ed looney

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 09:32:37 am »
I don't have there mailing address but they are in Ohio, have a good web sit "CH4D". Look them up on the web has all the info for contacting them and a telephone number. They are real friendly people to deal with.  ed

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 09:26:10 am »
I don't have there mailing address but they are in Ohio, have a good web sit "CH4D". Look them up on the web has all the info for contacting them and a telephone number. They are real friendly people to deal with.  ed

Got it!  Thanks, Ed...(now I just have to find what it is I wanted them for, LOL. I must have seen a posting on this site referring to them for something...)