Author Topic: Camp Perry  (Read 52357 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Camp Perry
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 07:12:38 pm »
What was even more amazing that year was how fast the range crew under Joe DeCosta was able to get things back into shape, to continue on with the rest of the matches.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

bobmm

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 01:45:42 am »
my first star came from camp perry back in about 1982. Cordy Rich picked it up for me...i use it to this day about every month...bob

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:21 pm »
Was this the same Cory Rich from Delhi NY area?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 08:40:04 pm »
I must have shared the same mess hall with NMBOB, STAR 73 and I know that NYKENN and I attended the same NY State R&P Club picnic at the clubhouse on Lake Erie. I was a guest and snapped a few 35mm pics that featured people that Kenn knew from that year's matches. We did not know each other at the time but I purchased a Star thru Kenn a few years ago and during the course of our dealings the National Natches came up. "Perry" was a great experience for me (1981-84) and I always enjoyed the "tradition" of the campus. The old water tower and RR tracks at the front gate are visible in a series of pictures over the years. Getting block ice at the fishing docks and a new plastic box fan for the hut window was just part of setting up camp. Great Times!

I am proud of having been an NRA Bullseye shooter over the years; it's a discipline that develops pistol shooting like no other.
I was in the era when the NRA wanted to transition American NRA shooters into ISU competetors. In 1984 some of us went to Colorado Springs for the ISU training camp. We shot at the Air Force Academy indoor gallery range and had Erich Buljung and Frank Higginson as our two outstanding instructors. The most talented shooter of our group was Robbin Vinnola who was an EXCEPTIONAL pistol shooter and a very nice person. He was killed in Cuba while participating in the International Matches (March 1987).

Keep Holding 'Em & Watching the Front Sight!  

bobmm

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 11:47:32 am »
to ny kenn... yes he owned a fuel oil company and was in our Crumhorn mtn. gun club and pistol team..Maryland, NY...I was raised in Oneonta and New Berlin NY...bob

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 06:02:13 pm »
and collected Winchesters, I believe.
He, Bob Johnson and Fran Barnes and a few others from the area used to come to DCPA for 2700 matches, but that was a while ago.

robert h

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 03:05:36 pm »
I was able to go to Perry in 63,65 and 75 with the U S Navy pistol team. There about 2700 Competitors there in 1963. It was a great experience. I Distinguished in 75, before Perry, but received my Distinguished Badge from the Team OinC Cdr Jack Nichols at Perry that Year. We had a Star Reloader in the gun club at NAS Pensacola,  great machine.

xring2245

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 08:22:11 am »
My Stars will be working very hard for a few weeks before Camp Perry this year.  A few hundred rounds of .45s and maybe a 100 .38s.  The Dillon will be retired for the .45s in favor of the Star.  Why not load on the best?????

James
James J. Grimes
NRA Endowment Member
Distinguished Pistol #1496
NRA Distinguished Revolver
ATA Trap
Muzzleloading

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 08:20:16 pm »
I first shot at Camp Perry in 1962.  Won a silver tea spoon in .22 timed fire as a Sharpshooter.  Legged out at Perry in 87.  I have just started shooting again after a ten year layoff.   Jep

robert h

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2011, 09:29:45 pm »
I started shooting bullseye at NAS Penacola in 1962. Went to the Atlantic Fleet and All Navy Matches in 1963. Got my first bronze leg at the Fleet Match. Went to Perry in 1965 and 1975 and got my Distinguished in 1975. Made Master the first year 1962. Also got first Gold at the 1970 Pacific Fleet Leg Match  288-8x, 108 shooters. But I had parts of eight years in South East Asia. One of the tours kept me out of the States and match shooting for thirty nine months  Jan 1966 till mid 1969.
At Pensacola the club had a loading room with a Star reloader and lubrisizer. Probably over 90% of my shooting was Star Loads and still is. I don't shoot as much or near as well now. But the Stars works just as well. I have three, one in 38 and two in 45 one with a taper crimp and the other is a roll crimp. I made Master using 3.5 BE and the H&G 130 185gn bullet. I now use mostly the taper crimp and 3.6 BE. I sometimes use the H&G 68 200gn bullet also with 3.6 BE.
TMC Gaspar DeFino taught me how to accurize a  .45 auto and make them function in 1962. And even though the Navy furnished us with guns at times. I won the Fleet Match and broke 2600 with guns that I built. I still shoot an occaisional 2700 but I'm not the same and sadly neither or the matches. I think we had about 2600 to 2700 shooters at Camp Perry Pistol Matches in 1963. We would practice at least three days a week and shoot a 2700 almost every weekend. Looking back it is a wonder any of our marriages lasted..
Finally I was privileged to shoot with some of the finest shooters and individuals, military and civilians that ever competed.

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 08:05:16 pm »
Just returned from 2011. Another great year.

Did not see or hear (I asked a few people) if there were any Stars around.
Did anyone else?

Will be posting "prices" in near future as time permits. Have them written down for entry.

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 03:57:16 pm »
What a week. Legged out on both revolver and service pistol. Got my first HR t-shirt too. But made plenty of mistakes as well, and must improve my long line for the P100. And avoid gaffes like the mesmerizing moments that make you forget your shot process -- like the "x" on the turn in .45 RF, mesmerizing to the point of forgetting release/reset the disconnector before the next shot. Oops. Those misses hurt. Better luck next year...

-Kirk
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

Mark Lindsley

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 10:53:19 am »
Hello group, My first time a Perry was back in 1992. Great time. CMP Distinguished pistol in May 1997. Blessed to have a few Star Machines, a Wemco-Willams Machine and Ammo Load Machine
Mark  ;)
"A slow hit always beats a fast miss".

Allaces

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 04:55:15 pm »
I have two Stars and go to Perry every year, not to shoot my best, but for the Perry experience.  I have a dedicated Perry cart and dedicated Perry mud boots from which I've never washed off the Perry mud as it is said to bring good luck.
Two Stars in SC
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired

ktmridin

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 07:22:36 pm »
Everyone should have at least two Star machines,I went to Perry from 1970 to 1976 with the pistol ,what a great time,the hut ,that long walk in the morning and those powdered eggs in the mess hall. I returned in 1983 and shot rifle for several years this time with my wife and now two sons, but still had a great time. Perry is a great place it can build you up one moment and then slap you in the face the next .
After retiring I started to look for bullseye matches in Florida and found that most were gone. I then started to shoot some USPSA and ICORE as I could shoot almost every weekend and not drive too far. Now I woke one morning about 6 weeks ago  and thought I should look into shooting bullseye again ( could be my ADHD) .So I pulled out some of  my old stuff  .sent in my entry and might even start to do a little practicing. Hope to see some of you there,but will not be staying a the hut (if they are still there) ,Wife says "Once was enough "