Author Topic: Timing between Moon indexer and case feeder  (Read 9827 times)

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Timing between Moon indexer and case feeder
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:20:44 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Anyone have any experience with the timing between the case feeder and Moon indexer?  It seems the cases are pushed out of the feeder faster than the indexer pushes the case to the next station causing a lock up. I've tried adjusing to no avail.  :(

Any thoughts? ?

1TonyE

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Timing between Moon indexer and case feeder
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:49:44 am »
Hi Toni
Do You have the adjustment instructions That came with the Moon Unit ?  If not , I will leave an address and telephone number at the bottom of this
page to contact for the instructions.

There are only 2 adjustments to be made on the Moon Unit : Number one is adjusting the pusher side-to-side. Loosen the jam nut and adjusting screw
on the Slide. With the press in the down position, push the pusher up against the expanding die body, while holding it there, turn the adjusting screw until
it just contacts the tail of the brass pusher bar, retighten the jam nut.  This should center the pusher.

Number two adjusts the pusher stroke : With the press in the down position, pull down on the moon unit main spring and pull the pin. this will relieve the
spring tension. Next, Slightly loosen the locknut  ( located just above the main spring). and then slightly loosen the pivot screw (top of main colluum) Now,
While holding the Cam roller tight against the top of the die plate, Push the slide all the way towards the primer station. now snug up the pivot screw.
Slowly raise the press and hold it at the full up position. the cam arm and drive arm will shift (under friction). Now, tighten the lock nut first and then the
pivot screw and nut. Bring the press down (pull the slide back to clear expander die) then pull the main spring through the hole and replace the anchor pin.

SB sales & Distributing      Phone 850-579-0197
737 White Dr.
Alford Fl. 32420

Good Shooting

Lindy
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:53:17 am by varmintpopper »

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 09:36:55 pm »
Hi Lindy,

I adjusted the indexer according to the directions and that helped alot. I do have the instructions in my paperwork somewhere. 

I do have a question. When the case is pushed out of  the case feeder, is it normal for the new case to ride along the edge of the shell plate till the next opening arrives?? I think this is  correct but w/o experience/knowledge, I'm not sure. It works, but if there a better way I'd want to know.

Thanks again for your interest.

Tony

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:20:06 pm »
No,   The case should slide into a waiting empty slot in the shell plate.   You probably started out by actuating the case feeder an extra time so that you have one case behind another.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:01:07 pm »
Toni
With no empty cases in the machine,,, Load the case feeder tube with cases and put it in place on the Hulme case feeder,,,now with your fingers grab the actuator
on the Hulme ,, pull it back and then let it go forward,, This should feed a case onto the floor plate. Now manually rotate that case until it is under the resize Die.
Now when You pull the handle on the loader down,, It will re-size the first case, and on the up stroke will load another case onto the floor plate and auto rotate it
under the re sizer die.
Hope this helps.

Good Shooting

Lindy

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »
Lindy,

Thanks for all the imput. I think I may have cycled  it  twice. I will also try what you said with pulling the cam back w/ the shell plate empty. I can  see how that would work.

Thanks

Tony

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:23:15 pm »
Lindy,

Thanks for all the input on the timing situation. I cycled one case by hand and pushed it to the next statlinesion.
Then continued with the handle on the Star. FLAWLESS!!!! That was an awesome feeling when ALL cases cycled without any hang-ups.

Thanks again!!!!

Tony

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 12:17:31 am »
Good Shooting Toni !!

Lindy