Author Topic: Star press for 38/357 for sale maybe?  (Read 16039 times)

reelman

• View Profile
Star press for 38/357 for sale maybe?
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »
Trying to clear out some items that my late father left.  One of the items is Star progresive press set up for 38/357.  I remember using this wit my dad years ago to load up 38's with full wadcutters to shoot out of a pair of S&W M52's we used for bullseye shooting.  It has not been used in years but was stored in a safe that was climate controled and it was oiled up before being put away.  I still do quite a bit of reloading and shooting but all my reloading is for rifles not pistols so I have no need for this press.
[/img]

THere are also some extra parts for it including two different powder measure "plates" and a thinker track for the plates, I'm sure you guys have better names for these things than I do LOL!  Also and extra plate for over the primer feed.  There are a couple primer pick ups and some manuals.  I also have some of the older lead removal kits for when you shoot lead bullets out of your pistol.

I don't really know what all this is worth so I'm hoping for some advice from you guys who seem to know these presses beter than anyone.  I don't want to rip anyone off on them but I don't want to give them away either.  One guy offered me $100 for all of it and for that I'll put it up on a shelf to remember my father.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:10:28 pm by reelman »

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star press for 38/357 for sale maybe?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 06:45:12 pm »
Greetings,

If you put the machine on eBay, it "should" bring about $350.00. Knock off the 20% fees for eBay and PayPal, you would realize $280.00.

The good news is that it appears to be a Universal model and can be converted to other calibers.

I could not read the label in the photo. Is it, indeed, a genuine Star machine, not a Phelps? The tool head will also have "Star San Diego" stamped on the top flange near the sizing die.

I agree, $100.00 is not an acceptable offer.

Cheers,

Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »
The machine pictured looks like a Phelps, not a Star.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

reelman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:24:58 am »
There is no writing left on the sticker - it's all wore off.  And I could not find anything stamped into the metal anywhere.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 05:41:01 am »
Phelps tool heads are not stamped, Star tool heads are stamped with Star Machine Works, and the Patent Number.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:18:12 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:12:59 am »
Greetings,

The Phelps head does not have a boss on the underside of the tool head.

Check your machine or post a photo of the underside of the tool head and one of us should be able to help you.

Also, I memory serves me well, the large donut ring that clamps the shell plate in position is not threaded. It is a simple ring clamp.

Cheers,

Dave

DDStraitwell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 06:56:20 pm »
Hi to all - my two cents worth. The crankshaft assembly (#62) is a Phelps. The tool head on all my Stars have a groove above the sizing die between the lower link arms (this does not). The primer slide cam on the  Phelps is thicker as is the base itself. This press appears to be in good shape but I detect from the picture a little rust on the link arms and on the handle. That being said I still believe the press and all the additional parts are worth at least $300 - $350. I don't really need another but would offer $300 for all. The $100.00 offer was an insult. The press is definately a universal also. Have nine now but I'm still upset about the one that was destroyed when my barn/shop burned last August. Keep thinking replace - replace. I know it's a disease with no known cure.   DDStraitwell 

Steve Doering

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »
With regard to identifying one of these machines - I have a loader that appears in all respects to be a Star Universal, except there is no stamping on the top of the tool head.  The tool head has the boss on the underside, which the Phelps head clearly lacks.  It also had the 3/8" untapped hole at the last (taper crimp) station ( at least before I drilled/bored it out and threaded it to 11/16". 

Can anyone shed any light on why there would be no "Star Manufacturing" and patent number stamped on the top of the tool head?  And no, I am not wanting to sell it!

Thanks.
S B Doering

reelman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 10:25:59 pm »
Guys, thanks for the info.  I'm out of town right now so I can't take anymore pictures right now but I will when I get back to town later this week.  From the information you all provided I take it the Phelps is a copy of the Star and not as desirable.  I know my father always called it a Star and he had it for a LONG time.  He used it to reload the rounds he shot to win multiple Wisconsin State Police titles.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:22:37 am »
Most Phelps, especially early ones are great machines, but unfortunately because they are copies of Stars, they don't command the same price.  I think the price guidance that Dave (fc60) gave you is good for a Phelps.  I would expect that a Star in the same condition as your machine would go for more.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

diamon4u

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 07:57:37 am »
Is the machine still for sale?

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 04:03:07 am »
I also agree, IT'S a Phelps.............
The Primer Magazine and Follower Rod are Phelps...

fc60, you are correct, the Shell Plate Thrust Nut is a Phelps which clamps onto the
Column Shaft...
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

reelman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 03:27:41 pm »
Sorry about taking so long to respond.  I was out of town for work and ripped my knee up pretty bad, I go in for a new ACL this coming Monday!

Yes the press is still for sale.  I've attached a few more photos here but if there is anything else anyone would like to see just ask.  I have no idea if it's a Phelps or a Star so all the information you guys give me is greatlly appreciated.  For what it's worth I know my dad always refered to it as a Star press and has the instruction book along with it that says Star press along with some instructions for a Phelps case feeder and a Star lubramatic.  The case feeder and luber are nowhere to be found though.  HE was very anal about keeping instructions and warranty cards.

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 06:55:16 pm »
YUP.. :o

It's Definitely a Phelps.. :'(
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain