Author Topic: Size die install  (Read 8321 times)

grlflh

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Size die install
« on: September 09, 2011, 04:13:53 pm »
Just picked up a Star Sizer, First of many questions.
How difficult shoiuld it be to install the die into the press? Both the die and press are clean just a little oil on the die.

Thanks,
Grant

LeupoldMRK4

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Size die install
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:37:04 pm »
Its a snug fit in order not to leak but should go in by hand. Push it in with you thumb.  Some time I use to sizer to push down on it but minimal force is needed. 

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:39:53 pm »
Greetings,

If you do not have the die puller assembly, buy one. Vise-Grips and Channel-Loc pliers are not allowed in the reloading area.

The dies are an interference fit in the greaser housing. I use the leverage of the press to push the die into position. If you have the die puller, screw in the knurled 1/2-27 adapter and use it to push the die home.

If no die puller is available, Star used to suggest using a piece of hardwood and a hammer to "gently" drive the die out of the greaser housing.

There is a guy in eBay that sells the die pullers. A tool worth having.

Cheers,

Dave

dbltapster

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »
I have also heated my sizer up a little and then inserted a cold die.  The die, in my experience goes in a little easier; albiet fractionally so.  I also use the machanical advantage of the press leverage to insert the die.  Under no circumstances should you have to POUND on the die to get in to seat!  You could break the sizer that way.

SBC

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:48:06 pm »
   You might want to read my post on setting the punch before you install the die?? Unlike most other brands of sizers the bullet must stop in line with the lube holes in the die.    If you didn't get the die puller/installer part you can make one by re-threading a short 1/2 inch  fine thread bolt to 27 TPI, then drill and tap the head of the bolt for a 1/4 inch bolt for the puller.     Robert